My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hiho!

I usually dondt like patina but on one of my old Solingen ham knife it convinced me ;)

27574179bg.jpg

27574142vu.jpg

27574143kg.jpg

wow I dont know that henckels hv carbon steel knives :newhere:
Great looking patina!

i guess 60+++ years at least ;)
And i collected a lot of those ;)

here is more of that knife
imgur.com/a/P99ty
imgur.com/a/Ln7P4

check this one.. thats the strange one ! ;)
imgur.com/a/qQ9Uh

@thanks! well looks not so dramatic in bright light but it was there after only one usage.

best regards, daniel!

I cold blue mine
Any of the commercial bluing products will work - check you local gun shop or online

It's a chemical process that forms a bonded layering to a steel for rust protection, used in the gun business for decades..

I know what it is, I just don't know why the **** you'd put it on a kitchen knife...

Cold blue, not hot blue, totally different animals
I have some I use to touch up any scratches on my shotguns, tested it out on a beater knife and loved it.
Easy, fast, and that dark blue with that sharpened silver cutting edge looks great
Over time it fades out leaving patterns on the blade

Obviously you want to avoid the old stuff as it contained arsenic :bigeek:

ZknMydwWYpUSzsjVhEqn_pTOMkemd9SyjShWxgVUiuOmLSbTKnwz0OnYENLMgsd4rBS2m0FmfyIvdVEqLaDi6htDivPzbP-ACf1uftWl30dyCdhqNVNNMpNAM_TXFw6iibnPUhJvTGFf6afDyYfrT2YWdAgwFH-NisO2tMIlNKcbQ29wnxQd_Iyc73a7nHAH-SvHrxNRJNjPv-hBwwnsEkFnZGsM-MQHc5nFaL-6c-ePTL7-Kr_vos7pGmZuJpKyL0upRV8B5JAbYB6lT516eZAOtz_mjm-1tQpGIXq6jd9a0eDPL29ZpOFQxnFMtHLlEqZBJqd0zUq88SldlKVulPv13G8O9LPMufWxHJYiBTzVwHcZgi2J4Rj3yEBOy1m0WnsAx3h0rnbuML5ih6oyKXRDKJocEVBXKXhpzDzzb6JyNga4OXiGIqqtD902ew9X0qtQC_5kCqfmJpgpgxYtRIlHR2e1rwdypXZx09vE5kKKfI12B3ikY3etw4Kp_sTFVcVjC7xsW8T7cmJYs92iLLEE-qDdYSZHrzrWb8wNZQDoCeLvxEqIuoM4DGrj-aT8Nay1RYRqAz-5aUIfQtAZ_CgrWN_5RMD_c8JWLynvC-wUYckTLKP5Ww=s1280

Sakai Jikko Akebono from K&S. After first day of usage, good amount of blue hue there.

I think it's permissions, you need to set the permission of the file in gdrive to "anyone can view" or "public" or basically the most permissive permission available. I think.

I think it's permissions, you need to set the permission of the file in gdrive to "anyone can view" or "public" or basically the most permissive permission available. I think.

Permission is set at the album correctly, but the link (which seems to be private) I copied and pasted when I first add it to the album is different to the one I copied and pasted a while after (one that works). Never had such as issue before till a couple of days ago.

It is really crap. Older photos are still good, not sure what is wrong with recent ones.

I don't really know how you do it but you absolutely create the most beautiful patina on a new knife every time.

Cheers

Thank, Jim. I am not sure if it is anything special with how I use the knife. Just use it on meat, veggie, normal things for home cook food.

Photography however may play a bit of a roll here. Nowadays I only use smartphone for these quick snap. However, I do take care to look at lighting and exposure values a bit. For patina, I think shooting for reflection of light source helps accentuate patina e.g. use the knife as a mirror and aim to capture the light coming from the light source reflected through the knife.

Thank, Jim. I am not sure if it is anything special with how I use the knife. Just use it on meat, veggie, normal things for home cook food.

Photography however may play a bit of a roll here. Nowadays I only use smartphone for these quick snap. However, I do take care to look at lighting and exposure values a bit. For patina, I think shooting for reflection of light source helps accentuate patina e.g. use the knife as a mirror and aim to capture the light coming from the light source reflected through the knife.

Thanks for the tips, I always see great color but then the pictures don't seem to capture it...now that I kind of understand the light issue I'll give it a go again soon.

Thanks for the tips, I always see great color but then the pictures don't seem to capture it...now that I kind of understand the light issue I'll give it a go again soon.

The patina shows much better if you slightly underexpose the pictures.

Only a little bit here. Not really a patina person but it's neat when it makes a nice contrast.
5fNSLMr.jpg

I love this. What is that knife and what caused the blue?

I'm going to go through all 78 pages of this thread.

Latest posts

Back