My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Early Forgecraft.
IMG_20180819_141445_231.jpg

Last edited:
Kamon Knives 1.2519 after couple weeks of mixed use

LzoMJuR.jpg

Toyama sujihiki. Not that deep, so quite hard to capture - especially with a phone cam.
IysMg85.jpg

WOW, the colour looks amazing! I will be trying to develop the patina on my Watanabe Honyaki for the first time. Will keep you guys updated.

Thinned and removed the ku finish on my Mazaki, so what better way to patina it than with some steak :)

9y7aiTJ.jpg

I don't get a whole lot of green but it's neat to see. Sorry for the lower quality photo.
XMeRzrS.jpg

Patina party! One from a couple weeks back after a fresh polish and etch!
20181007_223449.jpg

Indeed it was heat. But not really high heat, just normal cooking.

Hello patina friends ). I have started using the Watanabe Honyaki Gyoto and it is starting to develop it's first patina. The colour is on the grey / brown side. I've used it to cut some onions, carrots and some lamb fillets. I was wondering what creates a blue / purple patina that look oh so beautiful, unlike the dull grey/brown one that is starting to appear on my knife?

On a side note, my wife uses the Shun Classic petty knife all the time, which is meant to be stainless. However, I've noticed that it has started developing the blue/yellow patina which looks very beautiful on the Damascus steel. She cuts pretty much everything with it and I am not sure what foods actually cause the blue/purple tint.

Back