My new chopping setup

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97knives

Reaction score
I’ve been in Thailand for the past 3 months and saw some heavy cleavers down at the weekend market, decided to buy one and a chopping block. It’s a super heavy cleaver with a thick 3/16” spine that should easily chop through bone, chopping block is also very heavy and made out of very dense tamarind wood, $6 for the cleaver and $3 for the block. I have a cleaver back at home but it’s wimpy compared to this heavy beast, I will relegate the cleaver at home to a slicing cleaver and let this thing do my chopping.

When I got back to the house I googled the brand name aranyik and found that they are hand hammer forged in a small village just north of me, although crude looking they say the quality is very good and I see the cleavers selling online for $35 and the blocks for $45, gonna go back this weekend to grab a few more pieces before coming home next week.

2mzeis6.jpg

352nmg7.jpg

Stuff there must still be cheap.When I was in Bankok in 67 on R&R from Vietnam,I bought a 144 piece set of beautiful kitchen bronze tableware ( knives,forks,spoons and more ) with the three elephant heads in the handles for $20.It was in a beautiful carved out box .They even sent it to the States for me.

Aranyik is worth a trip if you have time. Maybe 35-40 miles north of Bangkok. Dozens of knife shops with every kind of Thai cleaver and kitchen knife you can think of. Prices are a little better than the big city. There is also a small cutlery museum if its open. The shop owner next door unlocked it for me.

My dad bought something like that ages (20 ish years) ago when we were in thailand and when he recently moved I snagged it up since it's been hanging in the kitchen unused. It's a hefty piece :)

Back