My small Watanabe collection

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mozg31337

Reaction score
A bit of TLC for my small Watanabe collection. Getting their handles done with a balm made of olive oil, coconut oil, beeswax, and a dozen or so drops of lime, mint and eucalyptus extract oils.

From top to bottom:
Watanabe Nikiri 165mm Blue#2
Watanabe Santoku 165mm Blue#2
Watanabe Gyuto Honyaki Custom 250mm Blue#2

65394761_10161814288615545_3656111565217726464_o.jpg

What's the gyuto like? Do you have other honyaki you could compare it to?

I'd like to try a gyuto from Watanabe... a honyaki might be a fun direction to go in there...

Oooooooof that honyaki! Wish Toyama/Watanabe was still making 'em.

That's my very first Honyaki , so I can't really compare. However, I can say that it's an awesome knife! I've used a couple of Shun and Miabi Gyuto knives and this by far stands out! Might want to order a custom handle from somewhere else as this knife deserves a really pretty one! I am in a process of finding a handle that I will fancy for this knife!

That's my very first Honyaki , so I can't really compare. However, I can say that it's an awesome knife! I've used a couple of Shun and Miabi Gyuto knives and this by far stands out! Might want to order a custom handle from somewhere else as this knife deserves a really pretty one! I am in a process of finding a handle that I will fancy for this knife!

It’s a top flight knife and something that took me a LONG time to locate myself.

In my opinion, the best handle makers in the business are Cody Paul and Graydon Decollibus... look ‘em up on IG. Oh, also Joe Morrone is quite fantastic.

It’s a top flight knife and something that took me a LONG time to locate myself.

In my opinion, the best handle makers in the business are Cody Paul and Graydon Decollibus... look ‘em up on IG. Oh, also Joe Morrone is quite fantastic.

Nice to see my name on that list :)

The Nakiri and Santoku were purchased in April this year. They had these handles, but I have applied protective self made solution to the handles a few times. It feels nice and is waterproof at the same time.

are you not worried about the vegetable oils going rancid? all of the ones you've listed have pretty decent shelf life, but will spoil eventually...

That Honyaki looks amazing. What's the price of these nowadays?

That Honyaki looks amazing. What's the price of these nowadays?

It's all secondary market so prepare to pay $1k +. You may see JNS get another Toyama, but I wouldn't place any bets on it. Shinichi hasn't taken orders for them in some time.

Back