nakagoshi knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King_Matt

Reaction score
Has anyone used or own any nakagoshi knives? They are sold alot on eu websites. wonder if they are any good?

thanks matt

Has anyone used or own any nakagoshi knives? They are sold alot on eu websites. wonder if they are any good?

thanks matt

Hi there
I want to ask this same question again...does anyone have any experience with Nakagoshi knives? Looks good, but I can't find any information on them...
Many thanks

Older thread, yes, but since nobody has followed up, here is something for the search:

Here's a review of their yanagiba on a german forum http://www.messerforum.net/showthread.php?127149-Bericht-Nakagoshi-Hocho-Sashimi, which says the knife is pretty much alright for the price. Mentions that the reviewer didn't find the factory edge perfect.

I have their usuba by now (ordered other stuff from the retailer, and couldn't resist trying, against some advice given here :), and my experience is similar: knife is decent as far as I can judge, though the ura "borders" do not look very regular to me (as in, what gets polished of the ura on a flat stone ... and yes I made sure I used a flat one there :).
It definitely did not come perfectly sharpened out of the box, and it took quite some work to get it satisfactorily sharp, so it probably is sold "unopened".
A sharpie marker test (before taking it to any stone) instantly showed even abrasion down from the shinogi line, so there seems to be no hamaguri grind to speak of. A makeshift laser deflection test showed prominent reflections between 6 and 8 degrees (the 8 degrees likely from a microbevel). Followed up on that when sharpening it (snug against the blade road for most of the time, then going a spaghetti above it, intermittently grinding ura flat, setting as little as possible of a bevel when deburring ura. Sure I will still have made some horrible mistake...)

Once sharpened, I found the performance great (from my perspective), thin and sharp, astonishingly resilient edge. Hadn't read above review for a while before trying my knife, find it interesting my experience was similar (good, OOTB edge not great, becomes very sharp).

The jigane is not stainless.

Back