nakayamas?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inferno

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) <*))))><
Reaction score
these are always expensive. and in the razor world these are regarded as very good.

is there anything special with nakayama stones?

what types of stones comes from nakayama?
what would be good for knives?

I think part of the allure is how fine they finish while still being knife friendly.

the 2 i have happen to bring out micro details in steel as well if not better than my other stones. Both are suita (though there is dispute if the one is nakayama or okudo), and both are very fine compared to my other naturals (perhaps why razors guys like them). I have a Nakayama Kiita coming soon to try as well.

So mix the fineness vs useability, and the story of them, and i think you have the reason for the premiums they seem to command.

I have a Nakayama Suita Koppa that i got from Knifewear. Pretty hard and pretty fine works really well for Straight razor. It works better with Tomo/Mikawa Nagura.

I agree with the post above,and you can get great deals here:

https://ikkyu-japanavenue.online/co.../NATURAL-WHETSTONE?sort_by=created-descending
I scored many good deals, just got a 2lb Nakayama for $160, full size.

I pulled the trigger for the Karasu Suita Koppa, hopefully, it will be nice for my gyuto.

Still don’t really know beans about stones. But I’ve got one, namazu I think, that I got from Badgertooth; finishes as fine as a Shoubudani Tomas and as bitey as a Shiro suita. Or at least my instances of each.

image.jpg

it‘s certainly my best finishing stone

I have a Nakayama Kita that I use mostly for razors. I haven't been able to find a place for it with knifes but I have limited nagura options. Not at all sure that would change anything though.

Theres nothing like a good nakayama imo. The feedback, ease of use, and the perfect fineness for finishing razors and single bev sharp things in my book.

I have a "heirloom grade" (from Keith Johnson) Nakayama Mizu Asagi.
It is very hard and a bit slow so I initially thought it's a edge only stone.
But when I tried it with just one or two drops of water for final polishing wide-bevels, it became surprisingly fast, yields a total mirror while highlighting all the details on the cladding. Insane experience.

Upvote for nakayama stones. Picked up a suita and its finer and faster than any of my ohira suita's and has great feedback. Recently picked up a small kiita koppa to make some fingerstones and I wish I had a full sized kiita but that's $$$$$ so holding off on that purchase for now.

Back