Nano hone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I already had plenty of stones, synthetic and Jnats, so I was only in the market for the lapping plates. I have an NL-4 for stones under 1000 grit and the NL-5 for everything over 1000 grit. They are expensive but blow all the other plates I have tried away. No suction issues and it really takes zero effort to keep stones flat and the edges of the stones beveled. The diamond coated steel plates are mounted to an aluminum plates which keeps their weight down and allows for a thick backing with finger grooves. I know the price is steep but for people who can stomach multiple $300+ knife purchases in a year it is silly to talk about cost in my opinion. Either it has value and someone wants one or they will move on with their DMT/Atoma plates or some other random stone flattening brick like the one I started with.

I already had plenty of stones, synthetic and Jnats, so I was only in the market for the lapping plates. I have an NL-4 for stones under 1000 grit and the NL-5 for everything over 1000 grit. They are expensive but blow all the other plates I have tried away. No suction issues and it really takes zero effort to keep stones flat and the edges of the stones beveled. The diamond coated steel plates are mounted to an aluminum plates which keeps their weight down and allows for a thick backing with finger grooves. I know the price is steep but for people who can stomach multiple $300+ knife purchases in a year it is silly to talk about cost in my opinion. Either it has value and someone wants one or they will move on with their DMT/Atoma plates or some other random stone flattening brick like the one I started with.
I am curious as to your thoughts on the condition of the surface of your freshly lapped stones (post Nano Hone vs post whatever-you-used-past)

I sprung for the “Button Tech,” mainly because I travel among several locations, and will recondition each location’s stones.

I’ve nearly consumed an Atoma 140 in ~5months. Interestingly, the A140 still works but requires quite a lot of effort, which is even more unpleasant given the shape and smoothness of the plate. The surface of the lapped stones is covered in the customary scratches. I mentioned in a previous post I think, that my favorite thing about the NL8 is the condition of the stones: they’re nicely smooth and scratch free (50nm abrasive).

I'm going to say, without proof just based on my experience, that Nanohones use a resin binder. Sort of like Hap Stanley decided to marry the Glass stones with Naniwa Super Stones.

And I used an older formulation that had a bit of a, brake cleaner, cutting fluid, can't quite place my finger on the smell. I know I've smelled it before.

They are a resin bond. The smell was from a drying agent.

I am curious as to your thoughts on the condition of the surface of your freshly lapped stones (post Nano Hone vs post whatever-you-used-past)

I sprung for the “Button Tech,” mainly because I travel among several locations, and will recondition each location’s stones.

I’ve nearly consumed an Atoma 140 in ~5months. Interestingly, the A140 still works but requires quite a lot of effort, which is even more unpleasant given the shape and smoothness of the plate. The surface of the lapped stones is covered in the customary scratches. I mentioned in a previous post I think, that my favorite thing about the NL8 is the condition of the stones: they’re nicely smooth and scratch free (50nm abrasive).

The NL-4 seems less coarse that other plates I have used but the design allows it to function efficiently. I use it on a 250 grit and 800 grit Norton and there appears to be no discernible scratches in the lapped surface other than the texture of the stones own particles of grit. That said I have never really noticed scratches on a freshly lapped stone under 1000 grit even with my old pink 250 grit stone flattening brick.

I use the NL-5 on my medium to fine stones and I use it on my JNats but rinse the slurry to avoid having diamond in the slurry I am sharpening with. The stones are nicely lapped and consistent with the NL-5. I like the surface it leaves for sharpening on. It leaves no large scratches in the surface, just nice gritty flat stone.

Not sure on how long the plates will last yet as I have only been using them for a couple months which in a home environment means I have used them a hand full of times for various sharpening and maintenance. The NL-5 design is especially efficient with the amount of cutting surfaces it exposes. I have a feeling the NL-8 will last longer. I am not sure but thought I read somewhere that the buttons on the 8 can be replaced when they wear out.

The NL-4 seems less coarse that other plates I have used but the design allows it to function efficiently. I use it on a 250 grit and 800 grit Norton and there appears to be no discernible scratches in the lapped surface other than the texture of the stones own particles of grit. That said I have never really noticed scratches on a freshly lapped stone under 1000 grit even with my old pink 250 grit stone flattening brick.

I use the NL-5 on my medium to fine stones and I use it on my JNats but rinse the slurry to avoid having diamond in the slurry I am sharpening with. The stones are nicely lapped and consistent with the NL-5. I like the surface it leaves for sharpening on. It leaves no large scratches in the surface, just nice gritty flat stone.

Not sure on how long the plates will last yet as I have only been using them for a couple months which in a home environment means I have used them a hand full of times for various sharpening and maintenance. The NL-5 design is especially efficient with the amount of cutting surfaces it exposes. I have a feeling the NL-8 will last longer. I am not sure but thought I read somewhere that the buttons on the 8 can be replaced when they wear out.
Based on what I can see, the “buttons” are permanently installed with no chance of replacement by the buyer. The thoughts is encouraging given the price; I’m going to do some searching when I have time. If replacement is possible, that makes this a more worthwhile purchase.

Regardless of refreshing the plate, this really seems like a hard-use product designed to serve for a long time. Based on my experience so far, this seems to be the case.

Whether or not I have a good experience with the NL8, I’ll post my thoughts after a few more months of hard use. Even though it’s expensive, there could be a situation (if NL8 serves long enough) where spending $$$ on this plate makes more sense than replacing products like DMT or Atoma that serve the same purpose.

All,

I just got some nano-hone stones today and am really, really enjoying them. I’m sure some of it is the new shiny object syndrome, but when I think objectively they really rock. Pun intended. I splurged for the stage and frankly, and so happy I did. The stones just like magically stick t9 the stage and the stage magically sticks to my bridge. It’s seriously a joy to use.

Now onto the stones. The 200 has no grinding sound andkind of feels like butter, although perhaps cryo-frozen and very hard, hey supple enough to pull metal off both knives I’ve messed with tonight, one is a superblue Yshihero kiritsuki and the there is a Ishikawa white #2 Bunka. Neither blade needed much more then an apex refresh ending, but, I couldn’t help myself but to thin each a little and see how it went. Let’s say that within 5 minutes Im sureI had taken more off the blade then 20+ minutes would have on a Shapton 250 or Suharto Dubado 100. Plus, the finish just seemed like maybe an 800 or s9methinh like that? Absolutely no “grinding and scraping noises nor scratch marks like other stones I’ve used. I did progress on quite easily through the 100 and 3000 and after maybe 10 minutes total per blade I felt I had a nicely polished side and bevel as well as a silly sharp knife that easily push cut phonebook paper. No tomatoes around to test on but…. I’ve got the distinct impression the tomatoes will split apart themselves in a micrometer slice as the newly sharpened blade kisses the skin.

Anyway, I’m really stoked with this set and look forward to making some lasers for myself, friends, and family.

Seriously, if you’re at all interested in these, just do it for crying out loud. The pricing is in line with other quality stones and the system, although does cost a couple bucks, is really slick and oh so easy.

Like the Nike commercial says, “Just do it”.

All,

I just got some nano-hone stones today and am really, really enjoying them. I’m sure some of it is the new shiny object syndrome, but when I think objectively they really rock. Pun intended. I splurged for the stage and frankly, and so happy I did. The stones just like magically stick t9 the stage and the stage magically sticks to my bridge. It’s seriously a joy to use.

Now onto the stones. The 200 has no grinding sound andkind of feels like butter, although perhaps cryo-frozen and very hard, hey supple enough to pull metal off both knives I’ve messed with tonight, one is a superblue Yshihero kiritsuki and the there is a Ishikawa white #2 Bunka. Neither blade needed much more then an apex refresh ending, but, I couldn’t help myself but to thin each a little and see how it went. Let’s say that within 5 minutes Im sureI had taken more off the blade then 20+ minutes would have on a Shapton 250 or Suharto Dubado 100. Plus, the finish just seemed like maybe an 800 or s9methinh like that? Absolutely no “grinding and scraping noises nor scratch marks like other stones I’ve used. I did progress on quite easily through the 100 and 3000 and after maybe 10 minutes total per blade I felt I had a nicely polished side and bevel as well as a silly sharp knife that easily push cut phonebook paper. No tomatoes around to test on but…. I’ve got the distinct impression the tomatoes will split apart themselves in a micrometer slice as the newly sharpened blade kisses the skin.

Anyway, I’m really stoked with this set and look forward to making some lasers for myself, friends, and family.

Seriously, if you’re at all interested in these, just do it for crying out loud. The pricing is in line with other quality stones and the system, although does cost a couple bucks, is really slick and oh so easy.

Like the Nike commercial says, “Just do it”.
Your description of the speed of the Nano Hones 200 sounds very good.

Are you sure about the comparison of the cutting speeds with the Shapton (I assume you mean 220?!) and the Suehiro Debado 100? That would be a harsh statement, I know the Shapton 220 and it's fast...

Your description of the speed of the Nano Hones 200 sounds very good.

Are you sure about the comparison of the cutting speeds with the Shapton (I assume you mean 220?!) and the Suehiro Debado 100? That would be a harsh statement, I know the Shapton 220 and it's fast...

Hi!
First off, you’re correct and I am referring to the Shapton Glass 220, of course.
regarding the speed being 5 min on the nano vs 20 on the Shapton, ok, I surrender. It’s not 4x as fast. It can’t be. But it really seems way faster. I’d have to do a side by side time trial on the same blade with close to identical sharpening needs to have a precise number to provide, but, again, it sure as heck seems faster. Plus it has a nicer feel. Plus the darn “stage” as they call the holder is an absolute home run. It’s $100 if you sign up for theirmailing list so it’s really not that expensive at all but my oh my it’s cool. You can just drop a stone onto the base/stage and get to work. Spin the stone to any orientation you like ( I like maybe a 30 deg slant so the stone axis points 8 o’clock to 2 o’clock ish. ).
Anyway, I’ll be doing more knives over the coming week and will try and post some more.

This setup is truly revolutionary and remarkable.

i even talked myself into the lower cost star shaped diamond lapping plate. WOW. ZERO STICTION and it seems to leave a nicer / creamier prepped surface then either my Norton flattening stone or my DMT course or medium plates or my ultra sharp plates ( these ultra sharp plates are REALLY nice stones FYI if anyone happens to me looking for diamond plates). Check out … ug., I don’t know if 8 can mention a source on here or if it violates rules.. a very well known reputable sharpening supply dealer ..hint…) who carries them and has some remarks that are spot on.

I’m not sure I’ll ever get rid of my 25 ish other stones, but I just might.
More to come later I’m sure. I may need to post this on a few other sites, just because I’m truly excited to have something that’s quite Extrordinary and very revolutionary. Ts almost like the Model T car had finally been replaced with… let’s call these a Porsche / Lexus / Mercedes C CLASS. C class price, Porsche performance, and Lexus quality touches that are hard to quantify but you know when “in hand”.

@Wishiwereaskibum :
When I read your original post for the first time, the thought occurred to me that this is not about the enthusiastic report of a satisfied customer, but about targeted marketing with financial interests behind it. This impression was simply inevitable. But since I generally believe in the good in people, I suppressed this thought again..... so far so good....

Today I happened to look in "the other forum" that is not named here and find in a thread there the next overly enthusiastic post from you about the Nano Hones. Your post there stinks much more obviously of targeted marketing. So obvious that you were already asked about it there from another member - a total of 3 posts there and all hypen Nano Hone extremely....

I don't want to accuse anyone of anything, but the impression of targeted and placed marketing comes to mind....and I would ask you to comment on it. By the way, your other activities here in this forum are also very low at first glance, in combination with the rest it gives a strange picture....

King,

Just to be absolutely 100% clear, i am an enthusiast and have no financial ties to nano-home at all. I happen to have a “S&17-ton” of stones and knives and am an entuasist and really really enjoyed the Nano product. I was and still am shocked by how great they work and the entire system is very well put together.
Plus, I’m an American and happen to be very happy that there 8s an American company putting out a fantastic product.

I am so very enthuasic about these stones and their performance and form factor that I felt the desire to should it all out. that’s all I’ve got to say.

that’s my comment and I’ll probably continue enthusiastically speaking from my soapbox as long as this system continues to have that level of joy-to use. You know, I even took some effort today to sharpen up a few knives that were already phone book paper push-cutting sharp. Yup, they’re really that much fun to use. Placing the sequential blocks onto the stage and so readily removing them. Feeling the stones cut like a hot knife through butter with a very nice aggressiveness yet buttery feel.

If you try some, I’m sure, or suspect, you’ll be psyched and want to let people know what a home run they are.

be well,

King,

Just to be absolutely 100% clear, i am an enthusiast and have no financial ties to nano-home at all. I happen to have a “S&17-ton” of stones and knives and am an entuasist and really really enjoyed the Nano product. I was and still am shocked by how great they work and the entire system is very well put together.
Plus, I’m an American and happen to be very happy that there 8s an American company putting out a fantastic product.

I am so very enthuasic about these stones and their performance and form factor that I felt the desire to should it all out. that’s all I’ve got to say.

that’s my comment and I’ll probably continue enthusiastically speaking from my soapbox as long as this system continues to have that level of joy-to use. You know, I even took some effort today to sharpen up a few knives that were already phone book paper push-cutting sharp. Yup, they’re really that much fun to use. Placing the sequential blocks onto the stage and so readily removing them. Feeling the stones cut like a hot knife through butter with a very nice aggressiveness yet buttery feel.

If you try some, I’m sure, or suspect, you’ll be psyched and want to let people know what a home run they are.

be well,
Thanks for your clarification.

Being enthusiastic and proud of a good product from your own country is an understandable explanation and totally fine. Just like the desire to shout it out loud.

It might have seemed strange to me as such enthusiasm is rare, but now I can understand it.

I hope you can understand my suspicions and don't hold it against me?! The overall picture I described seemed strange to me and in such cases I address it directly so that no further speculation arises.

Your statement convinced me 100%, so feel free to talk enthusiastically from your soapbox about something that inspires you in the future ;) !

By the way, I'm still eagerly awaiting your side-by-side comparison Nano Hone 200 vs Shapton 220..

Back