Need Recommendation for Carbon Steel, Wa Handled, Petty Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too funny because that is the exact knife I was going to suggest if you were open to it! 😁

That is too funny. It is my first Japanese knife (other than a couple of beater knives to practice sharpening), and using it is amazing. My wife made one slice on a tomato with it and was instantly and completely sold on Japanese knives. Having you recommend it reassured me that I had made the right choice.

That is too funny. It is my first Japanese knife (other than a couple of beater knives to practice sharpening), and using it is amazing. My wife made one slice on a tomato with it and was instantly and completely sold on Japanese knives. Having you recommend it reassured me that I had made the right choice.

I own one as well and I love it!

Just wait until you inevitably buy a Yoshikane 😁

Japanese knives are traditionally carbon, some mono, most with iron cladding. Me thinks stainless cladding is a more recent trend and is probably linked to the western market. (Stainless clad carbon is one of my favorite configurations) In the states it's common for makers to use carbon like 52100 without any cladding.

Here's a couple carbon and iron clad carbon offerings from JKI. The Gesshin Ginga in white is very popular.

https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/collections/all/carbon-steel

Last edited:
I hadn't yet seen Yoshikane. The only thing wrong with them that I could see is that so many are sold out. I have a feeling that at least one of them--perhaps the 165 mm nakiri--is in my future.

Epic Edge still has a decent selection and stated at the end of last year that due to price hikes, once these are gone they probably won't restock so still a pretty good deal. They have a 150mm petty in stock. I have the 180 santoku and it is a slicey creation for sure. May not be what you're looking for in this specific instance but wanted to point it out since we were' discussing it. :)

https://www.epicedge.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=1206&cat=Yoshikane+Hammer+Finished

Yes it is, as, I have the impression, are pretty much all Japanese knives. Does anyone even make knives that are not stainless clad?

When the core steel is high carbon, the default is typically non-stainless cladding. Stainless-clad carbon core is typically less common.

As a bonus, iron-clad carbon core is typically cheaper than the equivalent in stainless-clad.

That is substantially less. What was the verdict on yours: Do you like it?

Definitely, it’s a fun little knife. Cuts like a laser and very tough so far. The edge has been holding up surprisingly well for white 2, and just a few strokes on a strop have been enough to bring it back to stick-in-the-board sharp.

Of course Yoshikane is certainly worth the money, especially in SKD. But I think the only Yoshi nakiri I saw available at the time was 165mm or thereabouts and I wanted a 180mm, otherwise I would’ve gone with Yoshi. But the Wakui was definitely a pleasant surprise and great value.

Back