New chopping board - which wood?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spyne

Reaction score
Hey all, I've managed to find someone local that makes end-grain cutting boards at (what seems like) a reasonable price - $130-$180.
He's currently got a couple of ready-to-sell boards that are "a mix of Australian and American hardwoods", however he has offered to make me a board from scratch using either American Oak or Oregon ('Douglas Fir').
My knives currently are a JCK 210mm gyuto made from stainless-clad AS and a little 150mm petty made from 19C27 Sandvik stainless. Plus a couple of other randoms that are not worth mentioning (German steel or worse).

So my question is, would one wood be better than the other, or in all reality, will one of the 'mixed hardwood' boards still be perfectly acceptable?
I'm also considering a Hasegawa brown for roughly the same price.

Hopefully some of the Australian members can chime in about appropriate Oz woods--so many neat options.
In terms of the American woods... Neither Oak nor Doug Fir are conventional woods for cutting boards in the US. In theory, you could use either--but neither is ideal... Oak would be hard on edges and edges would be hard on Doug Fir. Oak is hard (harder than Maple). Doug Fir is soft (softer than Larch)—and (was) used for mostly for framing and building.

Last edited:
Oak is an open-grain wood and I wouldn’t recommend them for cutting boards both for the porosity and the unevenness of the surface. Fir is probably too soft. Traditional american woods for cutting boards are maple, cherry, and walnut.

Hopefully some of our Aussie members will chime in on local woods that are suitable, but IMHO it’s a hard pass on oak and fir.

Hopefully some of our Aussie members will chime in on local woods that are suitable, but IMHO it’s a hard pass on oak and fir.

Thanks for the advice so far, guys.
Seems so hard to get an end-grain chopping board in AUS without spending $250+ (unless you want undesirable woods like acacia, pine, jarrah, etc).

If any aussie members have recommendations for local suppliers, that'd be awesome.
Otherwise, might just have to forgo the beautiful looks of an end-grain board and get a Hasegawa instead.

You have good advice for @McMan and @Delat. I tend to dislike mixed wood boards as they, at least slightly, increase the chance of glued seams opening. You might look into Australian Cypress. I have zero experience with this wood but, at least on paper, it looks like it might be a viable option. Most of the Australian species I'm familiar with are, IMO, too hard for cutting boards.
Aesthetic issues aside the Hasegawa boards are very good and will be significantly lighter for a given size than end grain. I actually slightly prefer the softer yellow Hasegawa to the brown but it does stain and get cut more readily, both are very good

Very good advice above. I don’t know about Aussie woods specifically. I have made boards from US domestic walnut, cherry and maple and have been very happy. If I am cutting aromatics or raw protein, I prefer a plastic cutting board I can put in the dishwasher.

Hey all, I've managed to find someone local that makes end-grain cutting boards at (what seems like) a reasonable price - $130-$180.
He's currently got a couple of ready-to-sell boards that are "a mix of Australian and American hardwoods", however he has offered to make me a board from scratch using either American Oak or Oregon ('Douglas Fir').
My knives currently are a JCK 210mm gyuto made from stainless-clad AS and a little 150mm petty made from 19C27 Sandvik stainless. Plus a couple of other randoms that are not worth mentioning (German steel or worse).

So my question is, would one wood be better than the other, or in all reality, will one of the 'mixed hardwood' boards still be perfectly acceptable?
I'm also considering a Hasegawa brown for roughly the same price.

Hi. So exciting to get a new board!

IMO, oak is not a great wood for cutting boards, due to it's large pore size, which can take in water and bacteria—maple, walnut, cherry are good, all from trees with edible sap. I'm a big fan of maple and grains.

With Hasegawa, I much prefer the 'yellow' over the 'brown.' I've been using my Hasegawa nearly everyday for over a year, the softer 'yellow' feels better, jives with me much more.

Watch this Video:

And / or read this article. http://knifegrinders.com.au/SET/Chopping_Boards.pdf

HDPE all the way!!!

To quote:

COUNTER-INTUITIVE CONCLUSIONS
Important is that the testing was done with the load within natural cutting forces.
We were flabbergasted by the test results. Edge-friendly boards were undoubtedly making knives sharper as we continued cutting - this effect was more pronounced in plastic boards than in wooden, peaking in the high density polypropylene board. For the lack of a better term, we called this phenomenon edge-refining effect.
The Edge-refining effect of edge-friendly chopping boards is due to burnishing of the metal off the sides of the edge near the apex and smoothing away the apex irregularities. The tiny grooves on the board from slicing cuts are important for this effect to develop in full.
The experimental data tell us that the sharpness improvement starts immediately due to cleaning the microburr, smudge and residues from the edge, and stripping the oxidation layer off the edge, but fully develops only after hundreds of cuts, where we believe burnishing at the sides of the apex comes into play and continues, till the sharpness comes to an improved plateau after 1000-2000 cuts.
Of edge-hostile boards, which include end-grain Bamboo, Low Density Polypropylene and tempered glass, the glass is the worst of all for the knives. You will see glass cutting boards in some shops, and cheap plastic boards in every thrift shop. Let's set the record straight. There is no way in hell that you will keep your knife sharp using glass board or a board of Low Density Polypropylene.
Of all plastic boards, the most edge-friendly is the ubiquitous high density polypropylene, while the expensive Yoshihiro Hi-Soft board is nothing to rave about in comparison.
Acacia end-grain chopping board has no advantage over the long-grain in keeping your knife sharp; while the end-grain bamboo board is definitely bad. Comparing the long-grain acacia (Janka Hardness Index approx. 5000 N) to long-grain bamboo (Janka Hardness Index approx. 7000 N) we conclude that wood hardness as such does not affect the edge longevity.
We can summarise that the best board contender that is low maintenance for knives and long lasting are polypropylene and polyethylene plastic boards of trusted brands. These are most often used in commercial kitchens as well, and have the benefit of being able to toss in a dish washer. Even if you are a knife aficionado, our test results suggest no advantage in the expensive vinyl acetate and end-grain wooden boards. The cheaper high-density polypropylene, low-density polyethylene or long-grain wooden boards are also easy on your knives. Moreover, we've found the Yoshihiro Hi-Soft vinyl acetate cutting board too soft for chopping - it is favoured by sashimi and sushi chefs, but in an ordinary kitchen can be used only for portioning cuts and fine slicing of cooked and soft food.
With these data on hand, we can suppose that if the knife fails early on an edge-friendly chopping board, it is due to incorrect technique and chiefly due to the edge rolling.
Knives dull by two mechanisms: abrasion and edge rolling.
In our test, the knives are perpendicular to the chopping board and if they dull it is due to abrasion. If the cutter often scrapes the board laterally, or holds the knife out of the vertical, edge rolling will

prevail. For example, the habit of scraping food pieces off the board using the spine of the knife rather than the edge eliminates one cause of rolling.

Watch this Video:
HDPE all the way!!!

I watched this video last night, what a coincidence!
So counter-intuitive though - everyone I've ever encountered online (or even on TV at times) has said that plastic boards are bad for your knives. Sure, they require minimal care and can easily be sanitised, but they are so hard that they easily blunt the knife edge much quicker than wood or rubber.
Maybe the hate ALL comes from use of low-density polypropylene boards, and in fact, all other plastic boards are OK...?

Watch this Video:

And / or read this article. http://knifegrinders.com.au/SET/Chopping_Boards.pdf

HDPE all the way!!!

To quote:

COUNTER-INTUITIVE CONCLUSIONS
Important is that the testing was done with the load within natural cutting forces.
We were flabbergasted by the test results. Edge-friendly boards were undoubtedly making knives sharper as we continued cutting - this effect was more pronounced in plastic boards than in wooden, peaking in the high density polypropylene board. For the lack of a better term, we called this phenomenon edge-refining effect.
The Edge-refining effect of edge-friendly chopping boards is due to burnishing of the metal off the sides of the edge near the apex and smoothing away the apex irregularities. The tiny grooves on the board from slicing cuts are important for this effect to develop in full.
The experimental data tell us that the sharpness improvement starts immediately due to cleaning the microburr, smudge and residues from the edge, and stripping the oxidation layer off the edge, but fully develops only after hundreds of cuts, where we believe burnishing at the sides of the apex comes into play and continues, till the sharpness comes to an improved plateau after 1000-2000 cuts.
Of edge-hostile boards, which include end-grain Bamboo, Low Density Polypropylene and tempered glass, the glass is the worst of all for the knives. You will see glass cutting boards in some shops, and cheap plastic boards in every thrift shop. Let's set the record straight. There is no way in hell that you will keep your knife sharp using glass board or a board of Low Density Polypropylene.
Of all plastic boards, the most edge-friendly is the ubiquitous high density polypropylene, while the expensive Yoshihiro Hi-Soft board is nothing to rave about in comparison.
Acacia end-grain chopping board has no advantage over the long-grain in keeping your knife sharp; while the end-grain bamboo board is definitely bad. Comparing the long-grain acacia (Janka Hardness Index approx. 5000 N) to long-grain bamboo (Janka Hardness Index approx. 7000 N) we conclude that wood hardness as such does not affect the edge longevity.
We can summarise that the best board contender that is low maintenance for knives and long lasting are polypropylene and polyethylene plastic boards of trusted brands. These are most often used in commercial kitchens as well, and have the benefit of being able to toss in a dish washer. Even if you are a knife aficionado, our test results suggest no advantage in the expensive vinyl acetate and end-grain wooden boards. The cheaper high-density polypropylene, low-density polyethylene or long-grain wooden boards are also easy on your knives. Moreover, we've found the Yoshihiro Hi-Soft vinyl acetate cutting board too soft for chopping - it is favoured by sashimi and sushi chefs, but in an ordinary kitchen can be used only for portioning cuts and fine slicing of cooked and soft food.
With these data on hand, we can suppose that if the knife fails early on an edge-friendly chopping board, it is due to incorrect technique and chiefly due to the edge rolling.
Knives dull by two mechanisms: abrasion and edge rolling.
In our test, the knives are perpendicular to the chopping board and if they dull it is due to abrasion. If the cutter often scrapes the board laterally, or holds the knife out of the vertical, edge rolling will

prevail. For example, the habit of scraping food pieces off the board using the spine of the knife rather than the edge eliminates one cause of rolling.

I regard this a good faith attempt on a limited budget but the methodology and completeness of reporting have a host of problems - see this thread for some of them. I seem to recall another thread exploring more of the inherent problems but I can't find it right now. The knives getting sharper assertion is very difficult to credence and strongly suggests some serious issues.

The posted link certainly has some points about wether or not the experiment is scientifically sound (not enough data points and questioning the validity of some items… including the observation that glass initially seemed to sharpen knives) but overall it seems quite credible re seems to be enough data for me to ponder it very well could break the “golden known” of end-grain being king.

Use ones own intellect and take away the conclusions you like. But at least be aware of one rather scientific experiment by an individuel who has LOTS of very detailed experimental data and results on his site ( see more of what he writes) draws a pretty convincing argument to me that there could be validity to HDPE cutting boards being superior for knife edges.

That being said, I still have my 25 year 0ld home-made hard maple edge grain board on the counter. It’s been remanded more then a few times, oiled regularly, and works well. But I also have a handful of hdpe boards floating are used for … raw meats.. and just second boards if multiple boards are needed. Heck, sometimes I even put my rubber board on top of the maple for the “softer feel”.

Who cares? I like putting my hard steel knives onto the 8k stone for a touch up from time to time -:)

Here’s a question for you & everybody else? End grain cutting boards are supposed to be the most forgiving on a knife’s edge, but how often do you use a cutting board & how often do you sharpen your knife?
I personally believe a end grain board is for that person who uses a knife a lot & doesn’t sharpen very often. Long grain boards are for that person that might use their board a couple times a week, & surface grain boards are for the person that uses their board once in a while & might use it for display more than prep work.
However, if you use your knife A lot, & you sharpen it A lot, the style of grain reallydoesn’t matter to you.
We try to ask our customers these questions when they’re buying a cutting board from us.
Just something to think about

Check out Choppa Block for an aussie supplier.
https://www.choppablock.com.au/Can't find any other end grain suppliers.

Most woods are pretty hard, Tassie Blackwood and Tassie Oak look like your best bets from the following link.
https://www.choppablock.com.au/the-chop--o--meter.html
I don't think tassie oak is related to northern hemisphere oak, but I'm no expert.
At the risk of sounding like a shill, Choppa Block are pretty good boards. Only wish he could make them with a recess to facilitate lifting the larger ones. My Tasmanian Blackwood has become part of my kitchen family. Still have a decades old Canadian Larchwood board that has served me very well and is still in use despite a near death experience.

Here’s a question for you & everybody else? End grain cutting boards are supposed to be the most forgiving on a knife’s edge, but how often do you use a cutting board & how often do you sharpen your knife?
I personally believe a end grain board is for that person who uses a knife a lot & doesn’t sharpen very often. Long grain boards are for that person that might use their board a couple times a week, & surface grain boards are for the person that uses their board once in a while & might use it for display more than prep work.
However, if you use your knife A lot, & you sharpen it A lot, the style of grain reallydoesn’t matter to you.
We try to ask our customers these questions when they’re buying a cutting board from us.
Just something to think about

It's a good point.
My board has some quite hard wood, but it's still a long time between sharpening.
I actually prefer to sharpen my knives more frequently rather than less frequently, just to keep up my sharpening skills.
That plus I can feel my knives biting into the board quite frequently, and it's not like I'm hitting the board hard or anything, just slicing veggies or meat.
I also have some edge grain boards and bamboo boards that get used for various tasks.

Back