New Guy Checking In

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yet-Another-Dave

Reaction score
Hi, after lurking here, off & on, since (almost?) the beginning I guess it's time to register.

I'm a novice to quality knives and no more than an aspiring home cook. After a long period of "training" myself with a selection of the "better" cheap knives and still not reaching a point where I felt I deserved a quality one, I splurged anyway and treated myself with Jon at JKI's new Gesshin Stainless Wa-Gyuto. Jon's legendary here and it probably feels redundant repeating how good his stuff is, but... Wow! The fit and finish of this knife is so far beyond anything I've seen at a similar price, I'm honestly not sure why the stock answer to newcomers wanting a generic Japanese style knife isn't to get this one and come back when, or if, they have enough experience to prefer some different specific characteristic(s). Yes, I understand there are nuances, but when you don't know if you want thinner, heavier, more belly, less, etc. this seems like a great value that will be a great knife to use and to give a reference point to refine future selections. Certainly I'm loving it and expect I'll need to seriously refine my skills before I find any short comings.

If my account is approved, (despite my fan-boy enthusiasm, :) ) I'll mostly continue to lurk, but try to chip in when I have some relevant experience. Thanks for having me!

Welcome aboard Dave #6,897,967 or whatever it is.

Glad to have you here and don't worry we will have you buying Shigs and HHH damascus in no time :D

Do we REALLY need another Dave?
Of course we do! :D
Welcome Dave!

Enablers, everyone of you an enabler! :)

Thanks for the welcomes.

Yes, now you see :D.

My favourite enanling threads are the ones where someone posts "my knives" or something similar and there are like 40 or 50 blades, many rare and high end. Makes me think "my habbit is not so bad...."

The "culling my collection" threads are kind of similar in the enabling department.

So thanks everyone who has started a thread like this.

Back