New here.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome mate. What are you interested in?

I've always had a fascination with Japanese knifes (or just artisanal crafted knives) overall. Picked up my first Sakai Takayuki quite a few years ago... but had 0 idea about the world of knives until the last few weeks. I've just been reading and learning a lot about makers, different steels etc.. gotta admit, it's quite overwhelming... but at the same time pretty exciting.
Have recently picked up a Sakai Takayuki Homura Guren, and a Migoto cutlery Nakagawa. Not gonna lie... I'm pretty hooked on looking at each piece as art etc.
Atm, I'm trying to educate myself on the different blacksmiths etc, who's hyped, who's putting out amazing work etc. (There's so much to learn).

Welcome. Let me suggest a gear shift, with a focus on sharpening. Don't have to become a master by any stretch and don't be intimidated. Then when you go back to ogling knives, you'll have a much deeper understanding of what you truly value in a blade.

Welcome. Let me suggest a gear shift, with a focus on sharpening. Don't have to become a master by any stretch and don't be intimidated. Then when you go back to ogling knives, you'll have a much deeper understanding of what you truly value in a blade.
Really silly/ignorant question here: So, learning how to sharpen a knife etc... how would that make me want a particular knife more than others? I know that sounds silly... and to be honest and as much as I'd hate to admit it, a lot of what I would be looking at would have to do with visual aesthetics, blacksmiths etc... sorry if that question sounds stupid. LOL

Really silly/ignorant question here: So, learning how to sharpen a knife etc... how would that make me want a particular knife more than others? I know that sounds silly... and to be honest and as much as I'd hate to admit it, a lot of what I would be looking at would have to do with visual aesthetics, blacksmiths etc... sorry if that question sounds stupid. LOL

Not stupid at all. First, all of these knives will need to be sharpened sooner or later. So even if you don't want to venture into it yourself, you're going to need a plan. I do believe however, that doing it yourself brings a deeper understanding of the steel, the design, etc. It is surely not necessary.

Not stupid at all. First, all of these knives will need to be sharpened sooner or later. So even if you don't want to venture into it yourself, you're going to need a plan. I do believe however, that doing it yourself brings a deeper understanding of the steel, the design, etc. It is surely not necessary.
Yeah, that’s fair. I’m pretty much ready to go as I’ve got my stones ready etc. and have kept some crappy old knives to practice on for now. Lol

Back