New member greetings all!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eitan78

Banned
Reaction score
Hi I'm Eitan,

I'm looking for some advice about rehandling some of my Japanese blades.

And also a question about the pros and cons - considering the knives are still new in a box and untouched, how important is it in your opinion for a future owner to have the original handel on the knife ?
will a new custom handle increase the value of the knife or the opposite?

Any recommendation of handle workshops on the east coast?

Welcome to the forum Eitan.

Quick stab at your questions.

I used to have all my "keeper" knives rehandled and gave away the old handles. Now I'm more inclined to keep the makers handle on the knife - I'm liking the ho wood and burnt chestnut they come with and with the savings I can buy more knives. Suggest that a rehandle may increase the value or resellability of the knife if done well. Most of the time it won't make a difference.

Marko Tsourkan is just outside of NYC and does some very nice handle work - he did my first Jknife. Dave Martell is in PA somewhere, another very nice knife maker who will do western or wa rehandles. And Stefan Keller is in/around Philly. Stefan's handles are wow. There are others as well - these are off the top of my head. You can view their gallerys in the craftsman portion of the forum. Note that rehandling is not an overnight process - be aware of lead times before committing.

Should note that there are some well documented work in progress threads on here of individuals doing handles themselves. If you're inclined to go that route we'll help you find links.

Thank you @daveb this is helpful,
I'm starting to like this forum a lot, lots of great tips and knowledgeable members, cool photos too.

Welcome to the forum Eitan.

Quick stab at your questions.

I used to have all my "keeper" knives rehandled and gave away the old handles. Now I'm more inclined to keep the makers handle on the knife - I'm liking the ho wood and burnt chestnut they come with and with the savings I can buy more knives. Suggest that a rehandle may increase the value or resellability of the knife if done well. Most of the time it won't make a difference.

Marko Tsourkan is just outside of NYC and does some very nice handle work - he did my first Jknife. Dave Martell is in PA somewhere, another very nice knife maker who will do western or wa rehandles. And Stefan Keller is in/around Philly. Stefan's handles are wow. There are others as well - these are off the top of my head. You can view their gallerys in the craftsman portion of the forum. Note that rehandling is not an overnight process - be aware of lead times before committing.

Should note that there are some well documented work in progress threads on here of individuals doing handles themselves. If you're inclined to go that route we'll help you find links.

Latest posts

Back