New to Carbon Steel Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forthemoment

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've been a home-cook for long time and up until recently, I've only used stainless steel knives. I was gifted a carbon steel knife for my birthday and wanted to learn how to care for/maintain it. I did a little bit of research, and the workflow for carbons seems a little tedious for the long-run. Maybe semi-stainless would be more up my alley.

Looking forward to learning about carbon knives, and interested in seeing comparisons on different steels.

Your at the right place amigo, what'd you get?

PICS PICS PICS

Here is how to link (just remove the *'s )
[url*=http://www.example.com] [im*g]http://www.example.com/images/123456.jpeg[/img] [*/url]

Got a kramer 10" carbon. Kind of don't want to mess it up, there's already a small stain in middle of it, accidentally splashed water on it while set aside.

It will stain, there's no way around that, but if you cut hot rare beef you will get a beautiful red and blue patina on it. Don't be afraid and get to play with it.

Got a kramer 10" carbon. Kind of don't want to mess it up, there's already a small stain in middle of it, accidentally splashed water on it while set aside.

Welcome! Just use it...when you're done using it wash it with soap and hot water. Dry thoroughly and put away. Same care all knives deserve...have fun!

BTW, nice knife:)

It's easy to take care of like chinacats said above. If you're comfortable using cast iron pans then it's basically similar: don't leave wet, when finished using just clean and dry ASAP.

The patina will often contain many different colors. In contrast, rust is usually red to orange and powdery, i.e. if you scrape it with your fingernail, some of the rust will transfer to your fingernail.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Anyone know why chopping some onions causes almost immediate blackening, and others don't react/react very slowly? Another question: when should you apply oil to the blade? Say if my family and I are gone for a month, should it be oiled?

yes, oil if you are gone for several days or storing for long periods.

Somewhat depends on your local humidity...as in would need to oil more often in FL than AZ.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Anyone know why chopping some onions causes almost immediate blackening, and others don't react/react very slowly? Another question: when should you apply oil to the blade? Say if my family and I are gone for a month, should it be oiled?

Reactive steels react most with acidic foods, which help to form a patina. Patina is a type of oxidation of iron which is different to rust. Usually blue or grey, it protects the steel (to an extent) from further oxidation including rust.

I probably would oil if not using for a month but, as mentioned by CC, it depends on the humidity where you live.

Back