New Yoshikane Shirogami#2, patina question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malde

Reaction score
Hej guys, I posted a few days ago regarding advice on my first Japanese knife purchase, happy to say I received a Yoshikane Shirogami#2 hammered finish today from cleancut.se and couldn't be happier :)
It was used to slice and dice some onions, garlic and ginger for dinner tonight (thought I knew sharp, but this is scary sharp), I was sure to wipe it on a cloth before i put it down, between tasks. It being a carbon knife, I am aware that it's going to form a patina, which it started to do beautifully. There are however also a few brown spots here and there, which is why i'm I want to steal you guys' expertise, is it rust or merely part of the patina? If it is rust, what should be my course of action? First picture is the way it looked right out of the box.

Well, that could (and probably is) still just a patina. You may want to try to wash it off with something not too aggressive (mechanically). But I would just observe it over the next few sessions. Should that place develop towards surface rust, than I would use some fine grained abrasive (polishing) powder/paste (stone powder from 6k stone for example - something you can produce if you would flatten your stone dry) and gently clean the blade.

To my amateur eye that looks like rust. I use sandpaper to remove it. Others I believe use Bar keeper's friend. Jon has some nice videos about rust erasers.
https://youtu.be/PpspXNdJ_IE
At first you may be disappointed with the scratches. With some observation and practice you'll get a nice polish.

Its just patina, not always gonna be pretty blues and purples. I picked up the Bunka in this line a few days ago (great frikkin line), and it has definitely picked up some brown/dark brown patina. Cleans off easily. Enjoy

Ha. Matus you beat me to it. Hahaha

Right, so seems like there is a chance it's just part of the patina, i'll keep a close eye on those two areas during the next couple of days. Thanks for the help :)

If it does not stain the napkin when you wipe it probably is just patina.

Back