Newbie needs help

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJDedge

Reaction score
My experience has been wusthof/shun knives sharpened on Wicked Edge Pro...
No problems keeping great sharp knives....HOWEVER, not letting good things be,
I purchased HHH,Haburn,Catcheside,BloodRoot,Dalman,OrchardSteel carbons and 1 stainless.....
Thru Maxim I bought JNS 300/800/6000 ....Hideriyama lv 2.5...kanayama leather strop
Questions
1) JNS 300 is the large light blue one feels the coarsest
2) JNS 800 sort of yellow/pink?
3)JNS 6000 gray with shellac? Around edges?
Are these stones soakers or splash/go?
Keep 800/6000 flat with the 300?

Hideriyama stone....soaker or splash? Keep it flat with the 300? And I suppose I have to
Do the lacquer treatment or glue to board? Was mainly planning to use this to maintain
Edge on Catcheside Honyaki....use it on other blades?

Leather strop... I need to glue to board?...and what sort of compound do you guys
Recommend?

Answered my own question with regard to which stone is which...blue is 800....yellow/pink is 6000... Grey is 300
Making progress already!!

Hi!
First of all: Awesome stuff you got!

Second.. well Freehandsharpening is fun, but you have to practice like riding a bike and will never get the allways steady angle results of a system.

JNS6000 is the yellow/pink that feels like cream when you use it.
JNS300 should be the brey super coarse one with laquering (looks like rough concrete)

Hideriyama and all jnat finisher never require soaking and i would never waterboard my treasures ;)
it shoul be spit and go.. and it is adviceable to use a fine diamondplate or a naguro .. well you gotta learn about your stones yourself (like dating someone) because every stone is unique.

The hideryama seems very soft if you use a diamondplate for raising slurry (just try it it will behave different) you also keep it flat.
I would use the hideryama on anything if it works.. you will experience that some steels behave different (thats the jnat magic)
You should try the JNS6000 BEFORE using the hideryama to prepare and polish the blade for the jnat.

Laquering for them is safety first measure.
Actuall with the hideryama or any jnat finish i would never use a leather strop with compound again, because you will wipe away your awesome toothy Jnat edge. (i had it with chromium oxide and this polishes everything to death)

For kitchenknifes any higher grit than 5-6k is more im the range of fun and the steel and the way you use your knifes or the insane sharpness is gone after cooking one meal.

Well awesome knifes you got!! i would test all your stuff first with a beater knife to get a feeling for it!

Best regards, daniel

Hi!
First of all: Awesome stuff you got!

Second.. well Freehandsharpening is fun, but you have to practice like riding a bike and will never get the allways steady angle results of a system.

JNS6000 is the yellow/pink that feels like cream when you use it.
JNS300 should be the brey super coarse one with laquering (looks like rough concrete)

Hideriyama and all jnat finisher never require soaking and i would never waterboard my treasures ;)
it shoul be spit and go.. and it is adviceable to use a fine diamondplate or a naguro .. well you gotta learn about your stones yourself (like dating someone) because every stone is unique.

The hideryama seems very soft if you use a diamondplate for raising slurry (just try it it will behave different) you also keep it flat.
I would use the hideryama on anything if it works.. you will experience that some steels behave different (thats the jnat magic)
You should try the JNS6000 BEFORE using the hideryama to prepare and polish the blade for the jnat.

Laquering for them is safety first measure.
Actuall with the hideryama or any jnat finish i would never use a leather strop with compound again, because you will wipe away your awesome toothy Jnat edge. (i had it with chromium oxide and this polishes everything to death)

For kitchenknifes any higher grit than 5-6k is more im the range of fun and the steel and the way you use your knifes or the insane sharpness is gone after cooking one meal.

Well awesome knifes you got!! i would test all your stuff first with a beater knife to get a feeling for it!

Best regards, daniel

Spit and go! That is the best description I have ever heard for naturals! I learned quickly that a splash was too much water for most of mine.

thanks! well it describes very good that you dondt need a big amount of water and zero soaking ;)
I guess .. ehh i found this out when i was drunken and was to lazy to run to the sink.. ehh no no noooo ;)) of course not!.

Can I use the JNS 300 to flatten the hideryama stone?

well you can flatten it if it is damaged an you need to remove a lot of material.. but the JNS300 is as gentle as the road in front of my house.. so i sould never use something coarse like this on a jnat.
Usually worn out 600 Grit Diamond plates are gentle enough not to do some lovely ice skating scratches on the mirror Surface of your finisher..

So Yes you can use and Yes you will ruin the surface of your jant..

I find standard razor paste (green crox. on balsa in my case though.) works quite well on kitchen blades... but it leaves residue so if in doubt, wash with soap after using it... and not everyone wants to load their strop at all!

Latest posts

Back