Next Two stones suggestion

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twotimehojo

Reaction score
I have a Yoshikane SKD62-63 hardness. I have an Hinoura AS--wide bevel and about 63 Hardness. And a Wat 180mm Nakiri----wide bevel and not sure of hardness but at least 63.

I just currently have two stones. Cerax 1000 and a Rika 5000. Fairly new to sharpening and have been practicing on VG beaters.

Was going to get an Atoma 140. Shipping is going to run me at least $10 to $14 but if i spend more than $100, I can get free shipping and apply the funds to another stone.

Was thinking of a Shapton Glass 500. Should I just get the Atoma or would it make sense to future proof my sharpening kit and grab an extra stone. And if so, is the SG 500 the right one for my needs?

Thanks!

Marc

I like the SG500 a lot. As you develop proficiency you'll probably be sharpening for friends and family and most of those knives will benefit from the coarser stone. Consider the xthick version from MTC. I think they have the Atoma as well which would put you into free shipping. (But it'll take awhile).

https://mtckitchen.com/shapton-500-glass-sharpening-stone-double-thick-10mm-hr/

FWIW I"ve used the JKI flattener for about forever. Works fine, lasts a long time.

Last edited:
Seconding the recommendation of the Glass 500. It's just a great stone. There may be other 500-grit stones that are actually creamy to use, but if so I don't know about them.

If you're not dealing with a knife you know well and keep tuned, it can be really useful to fall back to the SG500, even if you're not sure such coarseness is justified. It's great that way, for getting the bevel in shape and getting good results later in the progression.

In my opinion,gs 500 is not aggressive comparing with those ceramic
400 or 500 stones.

I do not see that 400 in stock anywhere except at Burr**** store. CKTG seems to carry it but out of stock.

GS 500 is not good as Marble Lotta 400 which is also made in Japan.
Do you have a link to your website where the marble stones are sold. Also are the marble stones an alumina /zircon blend, and are they hard or semi hard?
edited - spelling

I have both the Rika and Cerax stones and sharpen a lot of blue steel around 64 hrc.

I added a Chosera 400 ceramic and absolutely love it. It’s aggressive and has great feedback. It’s also a thick stone so you’ll get a lot of life out of it. The Chosera was recommended to me by an Australian knives/stones vendor.

I have an old DMT xtra coarse diamond plate for flattening my stones. In my opinion, diamond plates are terrible to sharpen with. The feedback is terrible. It’s just not very pleasant, at all.

Definitely get the diamond plate. It will come in handy for flattening. It was already said, but they aren't pleasant to sharpen on. However if you need to do heavy repair work, having a highly abrasive, super flat diamond plate really helps a lot.

Plus the cerax stones are known to be a bit soft, so unless you are very good about evenly using your stones you will need to flatten them on at least a semi-regular basis.

Definitely a good investment. Then you can get a stone in between that and your cerax. I use a king 300, and cerax 320. I like the king more. Its splash and go, wears slowly, and works fast. The cerax wears away if you look at it wrong.

Back