Not quite new knife day - Dalman Cleaver

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dalman 185x100 cleaver. Very excited for a new knife but it was a bit (ab)used by the time it got here. See slightly scary pictures. Robin shipped it on 4/24, it got to Chicago on 5/15, and arrived in California just today.

Silver lining is that it’s mostly cosmetic so I’ll be trying my hand at polishing out the rust. I’ve only cut tissues with it so far (getting ready for a big pot of braised Kleenex) and that super thin edge is amazing.

Also Robin says he’s switching to DHL Express so hopefully this won’t happen again.

Attachments

• 3BD0B80C-DCC6-42E3-A78F-0313A7B54466.jpeg
    3BD0B80C-DCC6-42E3-A78F-0313A7B54466.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 130
  • D1614AD4-4808-4CCB-B974-D65FEF153E86.jpeg
    D1614AD4-4808-4CCB-B974-D65FEF153E86.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 135
  • 193A8BDC-AFED-4B15-898D-15F1795D715C.jpeg
    193A8BDC-AFED-4B15-898D-15F1795D715C.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 131
  • A8B5C0CD-760B-4051-9216-731BF59A9666.jpeg
    A8B5C0CD-760B-4051-9216-731BF59A9666.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 127
:pullinghair:
Usps have been a pain last 6 months. There was another that arrived to CA yesterday as well with the box looking like this, luckily that cleaver made it intact.

That package is ridiculous. Bunch of asshats running around in the USPS if that’s acceptable

International shipping is even more of a roulette than it used to be these days. Got a few knives from Yanick last week and looked like someone had taken a battering ram to the box. The suji lost 5-10mm but the gyuto was fine. Most shipping problems aren't the knife maker's fault unless it was packaged badly to begin with. All it takes is some bad luck or a post/customs worker who is having a bad day.

Wow, I hope this gets resolved somehow. I feel bad for you and Dalman.

Thanks! The packaging was sufficient and even though it happened with USPS I’m finding it hard to be really angry with them. They’re being battered by the pandemic like everybody else and on top of that is constantly shat upon for mostly just doing a great job. I got unlucky with this package but, well, it happens. WildBoar makes a good point too, could have easily been customs.

I asked for advice to clean up the rust on IG and Robin responded right away/even offered to pay for somebody local to help refinish it. Couldn’t accept that as it was not his fault in any way. Some elbow grease with sand paper is in my future is all.

In the end I still have a Dalman cleaver which I’ve wanted to try for a while. Count myself lucky all things considered :)

Wow, that box! That’s bad. They must have dropped it out of the plane into a buffalo stampede. What gets me is they don’t even leave a note or anything- “sorry about your package! Please contact us if there are any issues with the contents”. No, they just leave it at your door like it’s normal.
A note might have been nice but like WildBoar said it’s possible it was customs too.

It sounds like it’s relatively easily fixed so I’ll just have to learn how to sand well. Though I might be a lot less forgiving if it marred a difficult to fix/aesthetically/functionally important part of the knife like the handle/edge or any part of that Laseur tuxedo set you’ve got on your site.

I asked for advice to clean up the rust on IG and Robin responded right away/even offered to pay for somebody local to help refinish it. Couldn’t accept that as it was not his fault in any way. Some elbow grease with sand paper is in my future is all.

Good on you. Yanick made a similar offer to me, but these guys are running small businesses and I'm not interested in making that job any harder than it already is for them when a problem is caused by something outside their control, especially not for what amounts to a relatively simple inconvenience.

Good on you. Yanick made a similar offer to me, but these guys are running small businesses and I'm not interested in making that job any harder than it already is for them when a problem is caused by something outside their control, especially not for what amounts to a relatively simple inconvenience.

Agreed and my thoughts exactly! The point of buying a knife from Dalman or Tansu or Laseur for me is as much getting a great crafted object as it is supporting these types of craftsmen. Making them pay for something out off their control seems to run counter to that.

Last edited:
I asked for advice to clean up the rust on IG and Robin responded right away/even offered to pay for somebody local to help refinish it.
Hey if you’re at all uncomfortable with doing it yourself, you’re welcome to send it to me in Sacramento. I’d be happy to do it for free.

Hey if you’re at all uncomfortable with doing it yourself, you’re welcome to send it to me in Sacramento. I’d be happy to do it for free.
So kind! You're the one I mentioned I could reach out to and ask to pay for the fix :)
DHL express account is ready and first shippings are booked btw, so we should be good from now.

So annoying! Hope there is a satisfactory resolution for both plluke and Roin.
There is, thanks to everyone here! On Robin's advice I'm going to take some 600 sand paper to it and then polish with simichrome to try to match original finish. If I fail that terribly @crockerculinary has offered to help me refinish it and he's relatively local to me so less worry about shipping failures. All's well that ends well.

Back