Odd Dilemma involving knife purchase

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miho

Reaction score
So I recently brought a knife from a reputable vendor from this site. I'm not 100%_certain but I feel like they might have sent me the same brand but more expensive version of the one I ordered.

The problem is that the less expensive version was more of a workhouse type of the knife (taller heel height, thicker spine, more weight) which is what I'm looking for.

But I feel like an ass if I email the vender because I know they will cover the shipping both ways and that'll eliminate any profit he's get from the sale. Plus he switched the handle for me at no cost.

Part of me is thinking I should just be thankful for getting a more expensive knife but the other part is thinking that this isn't really the knife that I wanted.

How sure are you of the switcheroo? My guess is that if a vendor spends the time rehandling something, he would notice which knife it is. It's not like the standard grab some box off the shelf and ship it routine.

I guess you can't post the knives without disclosing the vendor huh

Contact the vendor, they'll want you to be happy/satisfied.

How sure are you of the switcheroo? My guess is that if a vendor spends the time rehandling something, he would notice which knife it is. It's not like the standard grab some box off the shelf and ship it routine.

I guess you can't post the knives without disclosing the vendor huh

The knife that I ordered was suppose to have significant belly (240 gyuto with 60mm heel height and like 230g). I was looking for a Japanese knife with more french profile.

The one I got is a more Japanese profile (245mm with heel height of like 47mm, flat no real belly and only weighs 165g).

I checked their site and the specs match the other knife. I haven't used the knife or sharpened it yet so I can't immediately tell the difference of semi stainless vs carbon.

It's just that initial feeling when I pulled it out of the box, is this really the right knife? It's not the profile/shape I was expecting

My guess is that he might have just misread the semi stainless vs carbon on the order sheet and ended grabbing the wrong knife

Back