Oddball method of sharpening a serrated knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe it would work. Guy seems to know what he's doing, and has a nice touch.

I have used a similar method before. It does work but I assume will eventually grind out the serrations.
Interesting that this came up today as I have literally just bought some dowells to try Dave Martell's method, which I suspect will maintain the serrations better over time.

seems to know what he's doing

Richard Blaine is like the twin brother of "Chef"Giovanni.

[video=youtube;brkyG1eSt8E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brkyG1eSt8E[/video]

They're both hacks and shills.

I once kindly pointed out some misinformation he was giving about single bevel sharpening and I even invited him here to discuss it further. He had no interest in learning anything about proper sharpening and I believe he blocked me from commenting further. What a little b!Tch.

That being said allow me to correct him again. He is not sharpening anything in that video. He's using a honing rod. That's merely honing the very edge of the blade. It is not removing any metal from inside the scalloped bevel. Hence not sharpening. It will however **** up the ridges on that scalloped bevel. So not only is he not sharpening the knife, he's ruining it! Hacks. What are you going to do?

This is Dave Martell's thread on the subject. I've brought a few knives back from the dead with this info. All good stuff.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/4262-Sharpening-Serrated-Edges?highlight=serrated

You can do this with a steel and have good results as well. They also make diamond rods in the correct diameters expressly for this technique. Most german bread knifes will be brought back pretty quickly. The one nuance to remember is to make sure the back is flat or de-burred properly like a 95/5 or single beveled knife (or whatever...YOURS is...mine is highly asymmetric). Just look at it and don't follow instructions blind in case your grind is something else.

Back