Old Dirty Carbons

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinacats

Reaction score
I happen to mention in a different thread about knives that have been sharpened so much that they were now a different blade and someone replied they'd never seen one--example being a gyuto sharpened into a petty from years of use/abuse. It reminded me of one of my favorite threads that was lost because it was in an ex-vendor forum (Lefty).

I hate starting this thread without pics, but all my old dirty carbon is currently in storage. Hope others also remember this thread and will want to contribute to reviving some interest in old knives that are either still in use as found or ones that have been restored and being used as part of someone's collection. Can be in great shape or just something kept for sentimental reasons.

Show us your old dirty carbons!.

That's the idea! Can't figure out why your attachment doesn't show in your post but that's quite a good looker and neat that it doesn't appear to have been over steeled through the years. Sheffield steel is as good as any.

If you mean the lack of the frown shape near the heel, it may very well have been; I’m a rubbish photographer but as you can (hopefully) see here the shape of the finger guard looks like it has been repaired either by the guy I bought it from or prior to that. I don’t know what the angle or curve would have looked like new, but it looks like how I’d have done it.

View attachment 38200

Back