Opinions needed please

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adaim13

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am looking to buy a new knife. I’ve been in touch with both Takefu Knife Village to get a custom Kitaoka and also Wantanabe via email. Which would you guys recommend? Or are there any better makers to consider? I've been following Sushi Sugita who uses a Kiritsuke to slice his fish during his service in Tokyo. Would like something similar, but not too long, hence the request for 240mm. Thank you guys in advance!

What country are you in?
Malaysia

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Kiritsuke (not K-tip Gyoto), single bevel

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
Around 1000 USD but could go higher depending. Looking for what might be considered the best... but also does international shipping due to COVID travel restrictions

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Professional

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Slicing fish and vegetables

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch or Point

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Mainly slicing but never rock

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Sharpness mainly, comfort, ease of use

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Damascus would be great. Custom handles would also be appreciated, if possible. Blade is the priority

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Balanced, handle material isn't a huge priority because I do believe they are easily changed

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Important but not the be-all and end-all

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Probably blue #2 for this

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Hinoki

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Hey guys, I am looking to buy a new knife. I’ve been in touch with both Takefu Knife Village to get a custom Kitaoka and also Wantanabe via email. Which would you guys recommend? Or are there any better makers to consider? I've been following Sushi Sugita who uses a Kiritsuke to slice his fish during his service in Tokyo. Would like something similar, but not too long, hence the request for 240mm. Thank you guys in advance!

What country are you in?
Malaysia

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese

240mm

No

Around 1000 USD but could go higher depending. Looking for what might be considered the best... but also does international shipping due to COVID travel restrictions

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Professional

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch or Point

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Damascus would be great. Custom handles would also be appreciated, if possible. Blade is the priority

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Balanced, handle material isn't a huge priority because I do believe they are easily changed

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Hinoki

Yes

I'd suggest looking at some of the offerings from either Kitchin Tools of Razorsharp, two knife stores that specialize in Japanese knives, located in Singapore—shipping would be a lot easier.

If this is what you mean, then are you sure it's a kiritsuke vis-a-vis a kiritsuke-yanagiba?

Single bevel? Are you looking for a slicer like the one in the vid Qapla linked? 240 is more of a cross between a usuba and yanagi vs. a dedicated slicer so the options are going to look a bit different.

I would say that 240mm does exist for both kiritsuke's and kiritsuke-yanagiba's, but it'd be considered on the short side either way for either purpose unless his counter-space demands it.

OP: If you suspect that you're too constrained on space for a 270mm one and you are having discussions with custom-makers, then have you considered asking about a 255mm?

Single bevel? Are you looking for a slicer like the one in the vid Qapla linked? 240 is more of a cross between a usuba and yanagi vs. a dedicated slicer so the options are going to look a bit different.
Yup! Similar but a kiritsuke provies flexibility with vegetables as well which I what I am looking for. Hence the need for a blade that just a bit wider than a sijihiki or a yanagi :)

I would say that 240mm does exist for both kiritsuke's and kiritsuke-yanagiba's, but it'd be considered on the short side either way for either purpose unless his counter-space demands it.

OP: If you suspect that you're too constrained on space for a 270mm one and you are having discussions with custom-makers, then have you considered asking about a 255mm?
It's not really a space issue but when using it for vegetables I'd rather have a shorter blade. I do think I can angle the blade just enough to get a good slice with a 240 since it will mainly be used for slicing neta for nigiris. I've spoken to some of the sushiya masters and they seem to think 240 would not be too problematic for this. I have other knives to cut down the larger blocks of fish. This would simply be used at the final preparation stage before forming the nigiris. But thank you!

It'd be cool to see what you end up getting; there aren't too many users of single-bevel kiritsuke's around here.

What country are you in?
Malaysia

KNIFE TYPE

Right

Japanese

240mm

No

KNIFE USE
Professional

Pinch or Point

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Hinoki

Yes
I come from Malaysia as well, which city do you stay? I used to had Furinkazan blue two yanagiba, very easily to sharp, F&F awesome.

Latest posts

Back