Opinions on the togashi #6 cleaver?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erbw02

Reaction score
Hi,

I currently own 2 cleavers:
  • a CCK ~230 mm "large slicer"
  • a Sugimoto #7
I really really like the CCK but I'm not intelligent enough to understand the Sugimoto. I find it too heavy and clumsy for veg prep and too delicate to be used more as a western cleaver. Also, it has too much belly for my taste (maybe there is someone who can enlighten me on relevant use cases but that is not the purpose of this thread).

So to get to the point: Im looking for a cleaver that is similar to the CCK (large felt spot, really thin behind the edge) but also very different (fancy steel, thicker spine, better F&F etc).

I have managed to find info basically all cleavers I can think off here on the forum but not the one from togashi that is on hitohira. Anyone tested it and have some smartass opinions to share?

Thanks!

I can understand why you would find the Sugi #7 too heavy and clumsy. Not only is it the 'professional' size (i.e. 220x110mm) but compared to the #6 yours is heavier and more suitable to heavier prep of e.g. proteins.

For what it's worth I really like my Sugimoto SF4030, which has the same steel as the #6 (so shirogami) but is more suitable for home cooks with its 190x95mm dimensions. It's tough enough to tackle pineapple and squash, but also nimble and thin enough to go crazy slicing onions.

thanks for the input! to be honest I dont know either as i tend to enjoy heavier blades. but still, I dont like it =) the CCK is also the "professional" size and i love that one so I dont think it's a size problem. The belly is one thing, maybe relative thickness behind the edge is another.

anyways, togashi?

and now i realize that I misread your post. It said “I can understand...” not “I can’t understand” :)

My most used knife is a CCK 1302 (sounds like yours is a 1301?), I've looked for the same upgrade you're looking for, same characteristics. I've decided that the only upgrade that makes sense is a Watanabe "light version", although many of them I don't care for aesthetically. The one he has available right now is a great knife, I'm certain, but I don't like the blotchy KU. That Togashi (little too much belly) or a Gesshin Ginga (little too much belly and a little heavy) are close to what I want, but not quite.

I think mine is an 1103 but I’m not certain. It’s the one called Large Slicer on CKTG. It has no “KU”

A Sug No. 7 is my go to knife for chopping and mincing protein but not for slicing anything. When I first got it the edge dinged a little on chicken bones so I raised the sharpening angle slightly and that seemed to have solved the problem.

Last edited:
The Sugimoto SF4030 or CM4030 are hard to find right now for a reasonable price. I almost bought one out of Japan but, between my credit card security and their credit card processor, the transaction was never completed before the seller ghosted me. In fairness, I don't think they had many foreign transactions and their English was pretty rough so, I may have been flagged as a scammer.

The Sugimoto SF4030 or CM4030 are hard to find right now for a reasonable price. I almost bought one out of Japan but, between my credit card security and their credit card processor, the transaction was never completed before the seller ghosted me. In fairness, I don't think they had many foreign transactions and their English was pretty rough so, I may have been flagged as a scammer.
I bought mine for around 225 euro in 2018, through global rakuten. The shop I had bought it from have their own website, and I see the SF4030 is still around that price. See Sugimoto Cutlery Chinese Cleaver High Carbon Steel

That Togashi looks really nice. I've got a custom Ashi that's very similar in specs. Togashi 222 x 108, 2.1mm thick at spine, 429 grams, carbon clad white #2; my Ashi 225 x 110, 2.1mm thick at spine, 410 grams (versus 480 for the standard Gesshin #6), white #2 mono steel. I really like the Ashi. The profile, at least on mine, is a little unusual in that it's pretty flat on most of the edge, but then has a curve at the front. So, it isn't really that curved. Some cleavers have a very slight curve all around- looks like the Togashi might be that way, but hard to tell from the pictures. Anyway, I've got no experience with the Togashi, but you might ping Jon at JKI to see if Ashi is still doing custom cleavers. Or, just buy the Togashi and tell us what you think!

Hi,

I currently own 2 cleavers:
  • a CCK ~230 mm "large slicer"
  • a Sugimoto #7
I really really like the CCK but I'm not intelligent enough to understand the Sugimoto. I find it too heavy and clumsy for veg prep and too delicate to be used more as a western cleaver. Also, it has too much belly for my taste (maybe there is someone who can enlighten me on relevant use cases but that is not the purpose of this thread).

So to get to the point: Im looking for a cleaver that is similar to the CCK (large felt spot, really thin behind the edge) but also very different (fancy steel, thicker spine, better F&F etc).

I have managed to find info basically all cleavers I can think off here on the forum but not the one from togashi that is on hitohira. Anyone tested it and have some smartass opinions to share?

Thanks!

Bumping this to see if anyone has feedback on a Togashi cleaver
If you got the cash for it, I would just buy it. Those look great I’ve been stalking them for awhile. Are you thinking the 220 mm version or 180 mm version? I’ve got a Fujiyama and other cleavers and no extra cash or else I would of already bought one. I think it will definitely give the upgraded ride you are searching for.

If you got the cash for it, I would just buy it. Those look great I’ve been stalking them for awhile. Are you thinking the 220 mm version or 180 mm version? I’ve got a Fujiyama and other cleavers and no extra cash or else I would of already bought one. I think it will definitely give the upgraded ride you are searching for.
You are probably right. I have been looking at the 180 wa handle as it’s fit and finish looks exceedingly better than the scale handle judging by photos. plus i am wanting a smaller cleaver. I keep pulling out a Nakiri and loving it, think it will be perfect in use.

You are probably right. I have been looking at the 180 wa handle as it’s fit and finish looks exceedingly better than the scale handle judging by photos. plus i am wanting a smaller cleaver. I keep pulling out a Nakiri and loving it, think it will be perfect in use.
I’ve been staring at the 180 too wanting it. Partly because it’s white 1, but also I wanted an upgrade to my small CCK also. And these look like legit small cleavers, rather than a nakiri. I’ve been wanting the yo handle though, but the wa ones look nice also.

Back