Opinions on this cleaver, might buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mean, I'm in no position to start buying expensive gyutos, I'm just looking at cleavers as a more comfortable option

Fwiw, some of my favorite gyutos are not too expensive...take a look at metalmasters Tanakas...much better than a cheap cleaver imo.

Last edited:
I really like both my CCK 1303 and 1103. 1103 is a beast and takes some getting used to but both are quite thin and nice grinds. not the greatest steel but they respond great to both my ceramic hone and my stones and take a great edge.

MM Tanakas are a good deal if they are in stock. The Nashiji VG10 have good grinds & cut well. Tanaka's VG10 is the best I have used in that steel.

If you like the look of the Vintage Forgecraft there are some 10" chef knives on E-Bay with Hickory handles. The butcher knives & cleavers are a lot more common. There are a few that look to be in pretty good shape for less than 100.00. They are pretty cool looking. I had one of those thinned it quite a bit on my 1x42 belt sander & a bucket of water. It cut better after that.

As stated earlier you can get into the CCK cleavers for that price or less and you'll need way less work to make it into a vegetable cleaver. I've been very happy with my CCK especially for it's price point.

Back