Orange/Tamago Suita with Karasu pattern

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cenc

Reaction score
Hey KKF,

These posts seem to be fruitless for me , but I really enjoy using this stone and curiosity overwhelms me everything I use it. Does anyone have even a clue or a guess as to where this could be from??? Anyone have a stone that looks similar??

I got it on ebay from a carpenter's collection along with a thin ohira renge suita which was obvious to me from the get go. However, this other stone eludes me.

This orange/Tamagoiro karasu stone absorbs water very quickly because of all the Su, and gives off slurry when sharpening hard steels. It isn't very fast, unless i am mistaken and the swarf is sinking into the Su. It kicks up some slurry when sharpening an edge but not much..
When polishing jigane, it tends to mud up fairly quickly and get a bit sticky, but still has a hard sensation to the cutting feeling. It leaves a scratch pattern at about 4k to 6k depending on pressure and slurry amount.

Now that I think about it, it kind of reminds me of a 4k imanishi tamago.

The edge retention it gives is miraculous and I can keep a toothy edge through a whole prep shift on poly boards. Pretty wild.

Beautiful stone regardless of all its wonderful sharpening properties. I tried to capture a close up of the karasu pattern and the Su spots. The orange spots all over the stone are little su.. there is also very tiny Goma pattern. Sorry if the quality is bad.

Any discussion is much loved. Thank you KKF.

085cd2e84bee2f4e7cff30f998e59306.jpg
9bf63552e3a38ec36436628a923bc26b.jpg
19dd14ebf94189644990eb423e480c73.jpg

I think you got yourself a cool stone. I think karasu is a stretch as that is typically associated with the Aisa layer. But patterning wise it is unique, I'm typically more used to light splotches on darker surrounds. I'm tempted to say Tenjou Suita based on characteristics but that would be the wildest, loosest guess.

Tenjou Suita sounds about right to me and the sharpening characteristics make sense for it.

The black blotches almost look like Aoto with some speckled dark orange spots in it.

Back