Outdoor Burner Setup

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimH

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm thinking of getting an outdoor burner for wok cooking and to use with cast iron/carbon steel for a post-sous vide sear. Does anyone have a specific setup they like?

Thanks in advance.

I have an alfresco versa burner that accommodates a round bottom woc. My woc is 22 inches. The grate can be easily replaced and handle small pans. BTU up to 65,000 with natural gas.

Last edited:
I've posted this before but it's still rocking for me. Modified Bayou Classic, put different burner and high capacity hose on. Brother (a welder) cut tabs to hold the wok and some vent holes for more air. Stock burner will work ok as well.

Outdoor Burner.jpg

I used to use a turkey fryer. My brother still has it. He’s very successful.

I moved on to this. The biggest advantage is the pilot light. It allows you to turn off the burner to do things. Trust me, when you first start there’s lots to do and crap you forget. Turning off the burner for those moments. Golden!

Camping the pilot light is awesome. I can shut off the heat, scoop out the food. Dump in water, fire it up, boil, brush out dirty water after brushing up food bits, and the wok is clean for nest dish. I just brush the water into the wilderness. No more reaching for a lighter once the pilot is lit. That tiny brass line in the pic is the pilot hose. It bleeds off a tiny bit of fuel.

Best part? I bought it for $98 on Amazon. Free shipping. It’s the Thunder-Group burner. Great burner, dumb name.

4F6D18E6-C951-4EB6-92D8-9903B8BB57E1.jpeg

Here’s last nights dinner. Sorry for the crap pic.

Hondashi eggs. Super fluffy
And stir fried beet and fava greens. Super delicious and garlicky. I use the burner 4x a week easy.

Attachments

• E8E44385-1DD3-4823-9CBE-F04862C005FB.jpeg
    E8E44385-1DD3-4823-9CBE-F04862C005FB.jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 43
I really want that Thunder group burner, just watched way too many YouTube videos on that thing.

I really want that Thunder group burner, just watched way too many YouTube videos on that thing.
Highly recommended. Mine is almost twenty years old and going strong. It's accumulated a little rust over the years, but only superficially; doesn't affect operation the slightest.

Back