Panic! At the Mildew

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fowlero

Reaction score
:help4:
I must have put my Bester 1200 back into its box before it was ready to go and ended up with some mildew in the box and on the stone.

1. Is it a big deal?

2. How should I remedy this if it is a big deal?

3. Other stones in the lineup seem to be mildew free but they are stored together, should I be concerned about them as well?

Thanks all!

If you send it to me I will recondition it and spend however much time is necessary to make sure it works properly!

"Flatten" all six sides and let it rinse in running tapwater for a while. If there's still a bit of funk, I'd try soaking it in water with a bit of vinegar, then rinsing again. I can't see that having an adverse reaction (but then again, I'm not a certified synthetic stoneologist)!

I'd use it as is. If you really want to kill the mold, perhaps put it in direct sunlight once it is completely dry. The only problem with this is that some resins in synthetics may be photodegradeable. Vinegar will probably not kill your mold and it might change the properties of your stone. This is one reason why I've switched to splash n go + naturals.

I've had this problem before with that exact stone. I just gave it a good scrub and a good flatten and it was fine. What little was left got knocked off in my next sharpening session, at the end of which I carefully cleaned my knives like always. I made sure to let the stone thoroughly dry at the end to make sure everything was dead, and I haven't had problems since.

I'd throw out the box.

Back