Pay It Forward Knife Kit

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time to bump this up and give a couple more away. I'm giving up a Kasumi brand damascus pattern boning knife in VG10 and an older model Tojiro santoku in VG10 as well. Both of these knives are fine and have served me well over the past decade or so. I use just don't use them any more.
Please let me know if anyone is interested. I'd prefer that they end up with someone who really needs them. These are a PITA to sharpen and have decent working edges on them now. If anybody wants to volunteer to sharpen or rehab them before they go to their new owner, let me know.
IMG_4759.jpg
[/IMG
IMG_4758.jpg
[/IMG
IMG_4757.jpg
[/IMG]]]

ill take them no doubt, i will then move my flexible sab filet and my chroma 8" slicer/utility knife along to someone else

well i know im second but if the boner falls through id really love to give it to a young cook otherwise what is the flexible sab filet about i might be interested

its an 8" flexable filet stainless from sab, i can throw some pics up tomorrow. also i have a forschner boning knife and that chroma 8" slicer i can send for that young cook once i pick these up tomorrow. i still have the box for the chroma and the chroma bandaid that comes with it if you want.

also have a henckles 5 star 6"utility, henckles pairing knife, and possibly some other things. I think I am going to put a kit together tomorrow like knerd did since i will be at his house and we will rehab them and get them into working order and I will give them away. I have an extra knife bag laying around I am sure and they would be great for a student starting out.

The kit will be:
8" Chroma slicer
6" Henckles 5 star utility
4" Henckles pairing
3" henckles birds beak
8" Sab flexible filet
6" Forschner boning
9" Forschner pointed bread knife
Probe thermometer
Plating spoon
some other odds and ends
Knife bag whichever is laying around

The Kasumi and Tojiro are gone. I did recieve a large donation of knives from pumbaa yesterday(some of which I would even like to keep for myself) which I am going to do some work on and send out. I've pm'ed those who've shown interest and promise they will be next in line.
This feels like it's taking off and it makes me happy to make someone's kit better.
If anybody has any handle materials or anything to add to this it would be greatly appreciated.

I can help with stabilized handle material as long as someone else is doing the re-handle work.
Let me know what you need and where to send it. I just want to see photos when they are all done.

I can help with stabilized handle material as long as someone else is doing the re-handle work.
Let me know what you need and where to send it. I just want to see photos when they are all done.
Wow, thanks Mark that is an extremely kind offer. I don't have anyone signed on to do a rehandle yet, so it would probably be me.
I hope I am not violating any KKF rules or policies by doing this. I don't have a craftsman/hobbyist tag as I don't ever plan to offer my services for money or trade, only for charity. Also, Im not any good!
Anybody else that wants in, PM me.
Mark, I'll PM you when I get my ducks in a row.

Awesome mark, and hope the knives get used by whoever they go to.

These are the next up:
IMG_4818.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_4816.jpg
[/IMG
I believe the Gyuto and the flexible Sab filet/boning are already spoken for. I really like the Sab too, I kinda want to keep it for myself!
Also a Sekizo cleaver. Yes this is an older asian market special, but It's still a good knife. It's cro/mo/va but hangs onto a decent edge. I've got a lot more, but these were the only ones I could get around to today, the other ones are going to require some more work on my part.

good to hear the chroma and the ksab are spoken for. you are redoing the handles on the 2 forschners? and what about the 2 henckles?

I don't have anyone signed on to do a rehandle yet, so it would probably be me.
I hope I am not violating any KKF rules or policies by doing this. I don't have a craftsman/hobbyist tag as I don't ever plan to offer my services for money or trade, only for charity. Also, Im not any good!

No worries, you're good here. :)

which ones are you trying to rehandle? the 2 forschners? im not sure how easy those henckles will be to take the handles off of.

which ones are you trying to rehandle? the 2 forschners? im not sure how easy those henckles will be to take the handles off of.

The Forschners are first, they are the most needed. But hell yes I'm taking those awful handles off the Henck's too. Those are like 2x longer than the blade. I'm interested to see what lies underneath.....

Knyf is being kind enough to send me the Sab and Chroma for a well deserving prep cook at my work. He recently got the position after a 400hr unpaid internship. They'll be put to good use and will be very appreciated. I'm super excited about it, and can't wait to pass them along :thumbsup: And he's got an interest in sharpening, which I hope to fan even more by helping him touch up the blades.

Big thanks to everyone here. And special thanks to knyfeknerd.

Thanks Jay. Sending out the Chroma, Sab and a pointy-tipped Victorinox/Forschner serrated (which I'm rehandling now) on Monday.
A little wip action:
IMG_4819.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_4820.jpg
[/IMG]
I'm also rehandling the Forschner boning knife now too. I've got a recipient for that one too.
Still to gift: Cleaver, Wustoff tourne, Henckel paring, Henckel small utility......maybe more.
Thanks again to pumbaa for this last round of blades.

looks good man, a ton better than that crappy fibrox handle

Ok, Bread knife done. I'm shipping out this to Jay in a few minutes. It's not perfect by any means, but I think it's a lot better than the plasticky/rubbery stuff. I just hate that kind of stuff on a knife. I sharpened it up too and it cuts great. Hope it gets put to good use.
IMG_4895.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_4894.jpg
[/IMG]
Also started on the boning knife. I need to do some more shaping to straighten it out as it is seriously wonky right now. This one is tamarind wood.
IMG_4885.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_4882.jpg
[/IMG]
Mark from Burl Source is donating some scales to the project too. Thanks Mark!
I hope I get to do some more work in the upcoming weeks.

Wow, those handles look great! Especially love the tamarind wood. Lovely look to the grain. Can't wait to see it in person! Thanks again!

Jay hope your guy likes these they served me well and hope it helps him and gives him something he can call his own and enjoy

Thanks pumbaa! I appreciate the knives you've donated here and I'm excited to pass them along. They will be very used, I can promise that. I'll make him chop a case of onions the first day lol :) I'll post back when I get them.

sounds good you got the sab,chroma, and bread knife correct?

nice he should be set with that, as soon as i get a new knife bag ill pm you and send him my messimeister 12 pocket with some extras in it.

I got a few sets of scales from Mark(Burl Source) today. Thanks for the donation Mark. I am looking forward to putting them on one of the Henckels that pumbaa gave to PIF.
IMG_4901_zps5142eb81.jpg
[/IMG]
The set on the left are the olive wood that I won in Burl Source's joke contest thread. I'm probably going to keep those for myself, but you never know!

DUDE! I just picked up the knives from the post office. I was getting a little worried that they didn't come yet. Philly has the worst USPS and I guess it's been sitting on the shelf for a few days. I never even got a notice lol. Thanks again much, can't wait to pass them along to him tomorrow morning at work. And the thermometer was a nice surprise. Super awesome man!

Back