D. Martell Petties coming available - need your help!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

Brown Dyed Box Elder Burl still available! :groucho:

Thought i would bring this back here instead of hijacking your other threads :sly:

Great to hear it is ground and handle materials mounted. After seeing the first finished i can't wait to see what mine turns out like.

Thought i would bring this back here instead of hijacking your other threads :sly:

Great to hear it is ground and handle materials mounted. After seeing the first finished i can't wait to see what mine turns out like.

I'll be shaping the handle within the next couple of days so it won't be too much longer for the reveal. :)

Then its just the slow painful journey across the Pacific. Though if I am being honest the trip across the Pacific will nr quicker than the 300km from Sydney where it lands to Canberra. Haha.

Can't wait. You manage to get all four sold yet?

Geez come on guys.. lift your game. How can that still be here. Its an awesome piece of wood. :D:D:D:D:D

Here the blue dyed box elder burl petty. The wood changed a lot in appearance from what was on the outside. A lot of the blue disappeared and the light sections turned darker with many more dark brown spots popping out. You just never know what you'll get with wood.

CLICK Here for more pictures.

Dave, the last one is really special.

I think Dave has a fan at home Matus, you may know who :biggrin:.

Great job again Dave! This one looks very different than what I imagined when I saw the block.

Again amazing Dave. I am so stoked with how the handle turned out. I really think the subtle blue hints tie in with the spacers perfectly. And love the colours which turned out. If this look was an "original" option i would have been all over it.

Again amazing Dave. I am so stoked with how the handle turned out. I really think the subtle blue hints tie in with the spacers perfectly. And love the colours which turned out. If this look was an "original" option i would have been all over it.

That's great to hear Alex. Thanks for your support! :)

And thanks to all the nice comments from everyone else, you guys are too kind.

There will be no missing this beauty in the block. Since I selected a brighter handle material I figured I'd let Dave make the call on the ferrule and I'm glad I did. It's a great combination. If anyone out there has been on the fence on one of these, I believe Dave has some choice pieces of wood waiting and he's all warmed up. Go for it!

(Remember: Nothing says "I love you" for Mother's Day like a new knife!)

The brown dyed box elder burl is still available. No wait time folks!
cool.gif

attachment.php

Here's an example of the same wood used on a gyuto I made....

p1010020-jpg.13972

p1010031-jpg.13974

I had an email just now with a question that I think I should post the answer to here as well....

First of all we need to understand that what is seen on the outside of a wood block is what will be ground away. It's a 100% guarantee that the finished product (the handle) will not be identical to the what we start off with seeing on the outside of the wood block. In most cases it's close but sometimes it can be a lot different.

That said, and to the point of this post, the last block available here (the brown dyed box elder) I feel will likely have the coloring of the finished brown handle (shown above) but the patterning of the blue handle. This is just a guess though, please keep this in mind.

Back