petty vs specialized knives (deba, honesuki etc)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As best as I know, "tristinction" is not a word. But it does work, congratulations! :)

Haha, thanks! You are right, I guess, but - and this is anecdotal evidence - I have seen that word in print somewhere. Would ’threefold distinction’ be better? Or am I simply missing some obvious idiomatic expression for slicing a matter into three?

To lump serrated knives together with serving knives seems wrong. Hey, you can use some bread knives for slicing and dicing. You can even handle whole fish with a bread knife with OK results (as always it depends on who holds the knife). I wouldn’t, but that is another story. Serrated knives can easily be used in prep.

I suppose, but people always call the serrated knife in these discussions a bread knife, indicating use as well as style and for me a serrated knife used to slice bread isn't really part of prep, but of serving. It's an artificial distinction in many ways (is a paring knife used to slice strawberries for a dish prep or serving), but that's how I think of it.

I suppose, but people always call the serrated knife in these discussions a bread knife, indicating use as well as style and for me a serrated knife used to slice bread isn't really part of prep, but of serving. It's an artificial distinction in many ways (is a paring knife used to slice strawberries for a dish prep or serving), but that's how I think of it.

Fair enough! I was unaware of that terminological point. Thanks for the info.

My needs as a home cook are really pretty basic- I use a petty for prep of small vegetables and fruit. I use a Takeda 270 for slicing most proteins and larger vegetables/fruit. And a cheap Boning Knife for breaking down chickens and deboning legs of lamb. I have a cleaver, santokus, bread knife, a heavy deba (almost no use, I use it to crush garlic as I prefer to fillet fish with a thinner knife and my fish are never big enough to need a deba). I have 4 gyutos from 210-270 that are really surplus to requirements, but I Need a couple more to play with different steels....

Back