Please help enlighten me

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhoff

Reaction score
Hi All
So, I am searching for a my first Stones. They will be used for my gesshin ginga 240mm and some global knives (until they are replaced.)

Reading the forum yielded two candidates in the 1000 Range:

Bester 1200 (48 euro)
King 1000 (26 euro)

However the Bester is named as imanishi bester. Is this the same?

Which one to grab?

Furthermore I have trouble locating any of the higher Grit Stones suggested in other threads within europe. Any auggestions?

They have the suehiro rika 5k also for budget finisher

as Robin said, go for Shapton kuro 1k and if you can, Shapton kuro 5k is really good choice as well. it works for me super good, really fast and leaves nice long standing edge.

Another vote for the Shapton Pro 1K, just be aware the feedback and feel is not as nice as the king or bester. I also find the King to be very forgiving, but the tradeoff is that they dish very quickly

Thank you for the explanation, I was wondering what the main differences was.

I Cook simple dishes and will likely not need to sharpen ofte, though when I get enough experience i may go for some restore projects

I have the Bester 1200,the Shapton Pro 1k and the Rika 5k. The Bester and the Rika go very well together offering pretty much the same experience in feel and feedback which to me is more enjoyable then the Pro unless of course you are talking about the Shapton pro 2k which to me is the nicest stone in the whole Shapton pro line but that is neither here nor there.Guess what I am saying is that I think that everyone is well served with a good 1k stone because I feel it is the most important stone in a lot.Then get a good finishing stone and the Rika feels that slot pretty nicely.You can jump from the Bester to the Rika and have a nice edge and can also use the Rika to strop on to refresh your edge from time to time.

Last edited:
Thank you, All knowledge and experience shared helps me make an informed choice.

I look forward to seeing if I can put enough effort and time into sharpening.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I actually prefer the JNS 1k over all other mentioned stones. It has nice feedback, cutting speed is good, its just right :)

I have used several medium grit stones and the Shapton Pro 1k has a pretty nice feedback. It does not dish too fast, so even though it is relatively thin, it will last a long time. It is also super fast so it can handle even some blade repairs and thinning.

I have used several medium grit stones and the Shapton Pro 1k has a pretty nice feedback. It does not dish too fast, so even though it is relatively thin, it will last a long time. It is also super fast so it can handle even some blade repairs and thinning.

Nice feedback? Are we talking about the same stone? [emoji12]

As for getting stones in Europe, knivesandtools.com
Both Shapton and Naniwa series.

I have not yet made my purchase but found this during a price investigation:

Naniwa Super stone set of 200 - 800 - 3000 for 98.50 euro. How is this compared to the Shapton 1000 with the rika 5000?

OP don’t get confused with all this feedback talk. The shapton pro 1000 will be fast, completely splash and go, long lasting and a great overall value. The Rant about the feel of shapton stones is greatly exagerated and as never preventing me from getting a sharp edge. Plus you don’t have experience with other stones so you will get use to this stone fast.

Also you need a flattening plate right away with you 1000.

Generally the Naniwa SS series of stones are very slow, soft, and leave an excellent finish for their grit rating on simple steels. They struggle on harder or more wear resistant alloys. I've used the 220 and the 1k and did not like either. I think you would be better served with other stones. A suehiro cerax 320 and 1k would be a good choice. As would a king 300 and hyper 1k or the cerax 1k. Sigma soft 1k is fantastic but may be hard to find. I don't know if Stu even sells anything now and know no where else to get sigma ceramic stones

I wouldn't opt for a stone set. You can do (almost) everything with a good, versatile first stone, and one more for stropping and deburring.
As a first stone I would rather choose the Naniwa Pro 800. The first one is by far the most used.

I bought my Bester 1200 (Japanese company names can be confusion, it's made by Imanishi) for use with A2 woodworking tools because it cuts A2 well with the least wear of the stones it was compared to. It works very well for knives and straight razors, it's slow to dish and fast cutting, leaves a good scratch pattern. Really best if permasoaked though (I keep mine, and a few other stones, wet all the time, especially my synthetic Aoto).

The King 1000 is a clay binder stone, and is difficult for a beginner to manage as it will dish very quickly with pressure and can be quite frustrating. Probably less of an issue with knives than plane blades, but mine now serves as a rest for other stones I'm using.

Back