Please help to buy a Santoku knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t-design

Reaction score
Hi

I'm long time fan of Japanese knives, and have many Shun knives, and they are so long lasting that I didn't look into knives for 10 years or so. But now I have a few dollars to burn, and just bored with my current knives. So I want to add a few knives to use in my kitchen.

In short, i need a santoku and some vegetable knife. Japanese, D-handle, proper steel, probably blue. Reputable brand, good qulity. Aesthetics are very important. I want something rough looking, black patina, may be hammered, may be black damascus look.

Can you please recommend something and were to buy it exactly?
Thanks!!!

------------------

KNIFE TYPE
1. Santoku, 2. vegetable knife, at least 7 inches both. Not stainless.
$100 each, preferably. $150 absolute top

KNIFE USE
Kitchen/home

Boneless meats, fish, vegetables.

D-handle, chopping, slicing.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? - Aestetics mostly. I want black, rough look. Possibly hameered or damascus.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
I use plastic boards only.

Wetstones for sharpening, do it myself.

This is what I'm currently looking at, but I wonder if I can do better:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005PQRTJE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

519nqzSAvtL._SL1200_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A Santoku should serve your meat and fish needs as well as being a veg knife. What veg do you envision cutting that you would need a separate knife? (Nothing wrong with wanting a separate knife of course) Are you considering a Petty or a Nakiri for your needs?

A Santoku should serve your meat and fish needs as well as being a veg knife. What veg do you envision cutting that you would need a separate knife? (Nothing wrong with wanting a separate knife of course) Are you considering a Petty or a Nakiri for your needs?

Yes you got it correct - just want a separate knife :). I always just use Santoku, but wife and mother don't like use them on veggies and prefer something smaller - it's just the way they are - they always go for smaller shun petty knife which is like 5". (not touching my knives is totally fine with me). Nakiri is still too big, I think. Is petty the only smaller knife type? Just wanted something a little more substantial

But buying Santoku is priority.

Yes you got it correct - just want a separate knife :). I always just use Santoku, but wife and mother don't like use them on veggies and prefer something smaller - it's just the way they are - they always go for smaller shun petty knife which is like 5". (not touching my knives is totally fine with me). Nakiri is still too big, I think. Is petty the only smaller knife type? Just wanted something a little more substantial

There's the ko-bunka, 130mm, that may fit your desires: http://knifewear.com/collections/ko-bunka/products/masakage-koishi-as-ko-bunka-130mm

This particular one is a Masakage Koishi, and a bit over the top of your budget, but there are others that are less expensive.

f1b42bb23d95377f91149aed45a26501.png

Have you tried octogonal handles? Personally I really like how they feel FWIW

Thanks guys! That has been real helpfull. Now I have too make my mind as they all look good!

What's a go to place to properly refinish my current knives? They need more than sharpening - they need the bevel above the edge regrinded, if I say it right.

Pensacola Tiger. Why do you suggest a bunka instead of a santoku? Just wondering... Never used a bunka before.

Pensacola Tiger. Why do you suggest a bunka instead of a santoku? Just wondering... Never used a bunka before.

Further on in the thread, the OP said that a smaller, "not-a-santoku" knife was wanted for his wife and mother to use, and a bunka is a perfect fit. Small, but with enough height to use on a board, unlike most petty knives that are almost useless on a board.

Rick

Back