PM/Stainless sujihiki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzHP

Reaction score
Looking for a Japanese handle sujihiki for under $300. Its main uses would be for carving thin slices of cooked meat, though may be used for sashimi or poke if the fancy strikes me. Edge retention is not a huge issue as there won't be much board contact, main desire is edge taking and ease of maintenance. Length isn't too big of a concern, I saw a Ashi Ginga Swedish stainless 240mm at a local store for $265 but wanted to consider all options before deciding.

Thanks!

sukenari hairline zdp would be a good choice!

Shibata Kotetsu 270 suji. R2. I have it, and I love it. Looks badass too!

Cheers,
Blair

I second the Sukenari ZDP suji. I've used mine for more than one year and I still love it like day one. You can find them on K&S and JCK.

It's perfect for crusted meat as my other knives in other steels would dull much faster. Not the thinnest behind the edge but I don't find any problem in that. I also find it not too hard to sharpen.

270mm should be the minimum in my opinion.

For more delicate stuff like sashimi, I would stick with a proper carbon yanagiba.

:knight:

Hattori FH still my favorite sujihiki at 270 for everything but slicing fish

I second the Sukenari ZDP suji. I've used mine for more than one year and I still love it like day one. You can find them on K&S and JCK.

It's perfect for crusted meat as my other knives in other steels would dull much faster. Not the thinnest behind the edge but I don't find any problem in that. I also find it not too hard to sharpen.

270mm should be the minimum in my opinion.

For more delicate stuff like sashimi, I would stick with a proper carbon yanagiba.

:knight:

Unfortunately I'm left handed so finding left handed yanagibas at a decent price is a no go. I'm hoping to find something when I go to Japan in September for my honeymoon.

Also the zdp sukenari is a little out of my price range... As in double...

I think I've settled on the 270mm or 240mm gesshin ginga stainless. I'm going to be in LA on Friday for a convention so I'm going to stop by there and try them out in hand before I buy.

Not sure if "there" is referring to JKI, sorry if it isn't. If it is, just a heads up that as of Friday James didn't have any Ginga 240mm in stock in SS. He did have white steel 240mm Gingas, just not the SS ones.

Not sure if "there" is referring to JKI, sorry if it isn't. If it is, just a heads up that as of Friday James didn't have any Ginga 240mm in stock in SS. He did have white steel 240mm Gingas, just not the SS ones.

See thread title, I'm looking at sujihikis, not gyutos. According to the website there's around 10 of each in stock.

Also I'm guessing you meant Jon and not James?

See thread title, I'm looking at sujihikis, not gyutos. According to the website there's around 10 of each in stock.

Also I'm guessing you meant Jon and not James?

I did mean Jon and I missed the sujihiki part.

I actually noticed they had a 300mm sujihiki for only $5 more than the 270mm (price difference between 240 and 270 is huge) so I called them up and asked them to hold the 300mm sujihiki for me until Friday, I'll hold them both in hand and decide there (240mm is $240, 270mm is $315 and 300mm is $320).

Unfortunately I'm left handed so finding left handed yanagibas at a decent price is a no go. I'm hoping to find something when I go to Japan in September for my honeymoon.

There is a left handed yanagi on kikuichi's outlet site. Just thought I'd throw that out there
Edit: realized that's not the knife type you are looking for, still might be worth it for the price though
https://02e8ac8.netsolstores.com/ytseries-1-1.aspx

There is a left handed yanagi on kikuichi's outlet site. Just thought I'd throw that out there
Edit: realized that's not the knife type you are looking for, still might be worth it for the price though
https://02e8ac8.netsolstores.com/ytseries-1-1.aspx

Thanks, but if I'm going to get a yanagiba it should be a nice one, not one that's "good enough" because the price is low compared to other lefty yanagibas. I just wish the playing field was more level. :/

Back