Polishing progressions - do they really matter?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe a literally perfect mirror doesn't exist, but you can't certainly get a "perfect" mirror polish that doesn't have visible scratches at a level that normal human sight can see.

In that case, its definitely very important to get rid of the scratches of the previous grit, as well as brushed (what I call satin) finishes like @Luftmensch mentioned. I normally go with satin generally speaking, if using a belt sander with either trizact or, scotch brite belts you can get a very nice machine satin quite easily.

Going for hand satin finishes takes more work, but isn't too tough with the right setup. Generally a vise to hold the blade (I need to make one) then sandpaper, and different backing materials is the most preferable. Doing alternating directions between each grit. Then only taking single strokes on the final grit (generally 600 or 800)

Mirror, is definitely more work in general. I had wanted the knife I made recently to have a mirror finish, but I just didnt have high enough grit belts, and ran out of 1000 and 1500 grit paper (3m wetordry really isn't great above 800 grit, I need a better sandpaper in these grits) during my progression. So anyway doing that didnt work. Its the same principle, alternating scratch patterns until you can get to a high enough grit that a buffer can erase the scratches. Then buff it out.

I've done mirror polishes before, and it is a very tedious process to get visibly scratch free mirrors. I've gone up to 10000 grit before using any kind of polish or compound.

I generally dont hang around him... He can be useful though. When people I don't like, invite me to parties out of spite (unvitation)... I bring old Freddy along... great for the mood...

I generally dont hang around him... He can be useful though. When people I don't like, invite me to parties out of spite (unvitation)... I bring old Freddy along... great for the mood...

Ah yes, I can see him there now... using a dessertspoon for soup, passing the port to his right, and generally acting like he reckons he’s a bit of an ubermensch.

Ah yes, I can see him there now... using a dessertspoon for soup, passing the port to his right, and generally acting like he reckons he’s a bit of an ubermensch.
ubermensch.

That is my word of the day.

Hilarious... yes... sitting there adamantly telling the host that table manners are an incoherent ritual lacking any 'objective truth' or inherent meaning. That cutlery has no meaning in and of itself... rather... cutlery is really just a construct born of our individual, master-slave, perspectives. Indeed, to be exceptional, rather than adopting table-manners-for-all, we can will them into being by letting them become what they are. As such, it is not unreasonable to demand soup served in a teacup.

ubermensch

Careful with that one! The Third Reich thought it was pretty trendy as well... ;)... thanks to Freddy's Nazi sister

Last edited:
@Luftmensch Are you German anyway, or just happen to use that name? Your English always seems so complete for a second language to me

@Luftmensch Are you German anyway, or just happen to use that name? Your English always seems so complete for a second language to me

:)

In some ways it is an ill-conceived name. I am embarrassingly mono-lingual. But I do have Austro-Hungarian ancestry.

I am a child of the Commonwealth. I have grown up in Australia. My parents were born in other parts of the Commonwealth. I guess I inherited central European cultural memes - from grandparent to parent; parent to child. My parents used to occasionally accuse me of being a 'luftmensch'. As you might expect from a parent admonishing a child, it was often when I was being impractical, forgetful or absent minded. I take it with good humour!

I am perhaps overly concerned about keeping anonymity on the internet. When I was thinking about an avatar for KKF, I liked the idea of divorcing my identity here from my identity in the real world - trying to be invisible. I suppose 'luftmensch' struck me as being an honest moniker in that context. It is something I have been called in the past... and somewhat represents being 'invisible'.... a person made of air!

I envy the multi-lingual landscape of Europe. There are some European members of KKF who have remarkable English! I know it is ubiquitous in some countries (like The Netherlands ;)), but I still appreciate members from all over the world contributing in what must be their second or third language. How cool is that!!?

In some ways it is an ill-conceived name. I am embarrassingly mono-lingual. But I do have Austro-Hungarian ancestry.

I am a child of the Commonwealth. I have grown up in Australia. My parents were born in other parts of the Commonwealth. I guess I inherited central European cultural memes - from grandparent to parent; parent to child. My parents used to occasionally accuse me of being a 'luftmensch'. As you might expect from a parent admonishing a child, it was often when I was being impractical, forgetful or absent minded. I take it with good humour!

I am perhaps overly concerned about keeping anonymity on the internet. When I was thinking about an avatar for KKF, I liked the idea of divorcing my identity here from my identity in the real world - trying to be invisible. I suppose 'luftmensch' struck me as being an honest moniker in that context. It is something I have been called in the past... and somewhat represents being 'invisible'.... a person made of air!

I envy the multi-lingual landscape of Europe. There are some European members of KKF who have remarkable English! I know it is ubiquitous in some countries (like The Netherlands ;)), but I still appreciate members from all over the world contributing in what must be their second or third language. How cool is that!!?
Join the club. Everywhere else on the internet my name is blank blank, here I just used the name of the email that is tied to all the accounts with the name blank blank. So yeah. At least having some false semblance of anonymity on the internet is kind of comforting, at least to me.

I didn't know luftmensch actually had a different meaning until I just googled it.

Because to me; you are the 'Sky Man', a pioneering 1920s aviator. Probably with a Zeppelin.

Because to me; you are the 'Sky Man', a pioneering 1920s aviator. Probably with a Zeppelin.

I like being the 'sky man'... a man made out of air!! But an early aviator could be pretty fun as well "Chocks away Bertie... Ehy what chaps!"

ornithopter-otto-lilienthal-1894_tcm36-53481.jpg

.... zeppelins are pretty awesome though...

Join the club. Everywhere else on the internet my name is blank blank, here I just used the name of the email that is tied to all the accounts with the name blank blank. So yeah. At least having some false semblance of anonymity on the internet is kind of comforting, at least to me.

I blame my parents 😋. They stressed the importance of privacy and securing personal information. But I was born before the internet... the culture has changed! Sharing your life with the world is the new normal.

In the new world, sometimes I find my instincts to keep even irrelevant details private a frustrating and restrictive. C'est la vie!

I like being the 'sky man'... a man made out of air!! But an early aviator could be pretty fun as well "Chocks away Bertie... Ehy what chaps!"

View attachment 188131

.... zeppelins are pretty awesome though...

I blame my parents 😋. They stressed the importance of privacy and securing personal information. But I was born before the internet... the culture has changed! Sharing your life with the world is the new normal.

In the new world, sometimes I find my instincts to keep even irrelevant details private a frustrating and restrictive. C'est la vie!
I'm 27 so I technically wasn't born before the internet, maybe before the modern internet, and definitely before the social media climate of today. So idk if that's why I tend to be a bit more private than some.

I can say, it seems a bit thoughtless to me that most people tend to put their entire life (or at least framing what they post, to make it seem like their whole life is a certain way) for everyone to see. I just don't know how many positives can come from living your entire life in the public spotlight.

Latest posts

Back