Recipe Requested Ruffed Grouse Recipes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You probably know that game birds do well in a braise. It allows them to stay moist and retain the rich flavor. If you can't do taters I would look for a rice based braise, perhaps corn based. Lot of onion.

I've not targeted grouse before but have taken them while pheasant hunting in Nebraska. There, they're all chickens. Prarie, Sharptail and Sage Grouse, they're all chickens. At the end of the day our host's mother put all the birds in the same pot, every day was a little different as we picked up some ducks and geese as well. I was happy to yield the cooking duties.

Have a good season - am jelly.

Actually cooked fresh grouse a few days ago - just a simple oven roast. Wasn’t particularly keen on its flavour though, very strong gamey flavour.

Actually cooked fresh grouse a few days ago - just a simple oven roast. Wasn’t particularly keen on its flavour though, very strong gamey flavour.
I'm just wondering if the European grouse is anything like our Ruffed, from everything I've seen they are all red meat kinda like our spruce grouse or
Timberdoodle, if so I can see how they would be gamey.

Back