Sad to see Devin go.......

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knyfeknerd

Original Knerd of Knives
Reaction score
A few months ago Ed donated his Devin Thomas ITK western gyuto in AEB-L to me for the PIF program. I was working at another restaurant and planning on giving it away to one of the guys there. There was a very talented kid, fresh out of culinary school whom I decided to gift it to...........
........well, a couple of days before I was going to do it, he comes in with a brand new Miyabi chefs knife! So I guess he really didn't need the Devin at all. So, I held onto it. I used it. Sharpened it a few times. Totally fell in love with it. This is the most comfortable western handle I've ever used. I used this thing at work every day. Such a perfect length too. Just that sweet spot between a 240 and a 270.
I've since left that restaurant and am going on my 2nd month at a new spot. I found the perfect recipient here. He was using a super-dull Wustoff. I picked this guy because he is a badass on the line, esp. sautee. He's happiest when it's crazy busy. I can see the fire of the Devil in his eyes when he's got all 12 burners going at once-firing away like some psycho! He's always pushing himself(and all of us) during service. He is determined to make us the best restaurant in Charlotte, and I am inspired by that.

I also gave away my Henckel 10 inch that I rehandled in cocobolo. It's one of the first knives I rehandled, and it means a lot to me, but I just can't see holding on to something I rarely use. Especially when there's someone who could use it.
The guys were happy to get the knives. I tried to explain the awesomeness of the Devin to the guy, that this isn't just something you can go out and buy. I'm also going to do some sharpening clinics soon, for those interested. I think some of the other guys are a little envious now, but I'll get to them later.
Thanks Ed!
DSC_00268_zps599da21d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

No problem, glad to see it went to a good home. :biggrin: Things worked out just fine for me as I was able to get the "spicy white steel" san mai Devin to replace it.

Thanks guys, my wife says that if I die, she's going to kill me!

Love and respect

Hoss

New knives or not, Devin you're still a treasure. Your jolly wisdom commands respect, and any thread you post in, it is apparent people are aware of your presence.

Nerd,
Explain the pins in the Henckels please. For some reason the oddity makes me like it more...

Thumbs up, Ed! Hopefully this boosts this guys fire and passion even a little more.

um, I'll have to agree. Haven't met the man yet, but still thy heart skipped a beat

That devin knife is amazing. I hope that knife brings him a lot of pleasure. You are an inspiration knerd

Sorry for the scare guys, but at least I got your attention!
Long live Hoss!
And I hope he gets that freakin' Darth Vader boot off his foot soon- so he can make some more awesome knives!

God I miss sauteing like that. I don't think I can ever give away my DT ITK. If someone wants to buy it, it would be in the price of a Kramer.

Latest posts

Back