Sakai ginsanko wide bevels

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tesshu 270 is in stock right now at aframes. Not sure if this is old Shiraki-forged stock, or just old copy--there was a definite shift in finish, kanji and other fine details somewhere between the two petties I've tried from these lines. Pretty cheap for a 270 in ginsan, though it might be a faux-wide bevel and there aren't any choil shots.
https://www.aframestokyo.com/tesshu-wa-gyuto-270mm-ginsan-steel-blade-japanese-chef-kn270.html
Wow that’s crazy cheap

Tesshu 270 is in stock right now at aframes. Not sure if this is old Shiraki-forged stock, or just old copy--there was a definite shift in finish, kanji and other fine details somewhere between the two petties I've tried from these lines. Pretty cheap for a 270 in ginsan, though it might be a faux-wide bevel and there aren't any choil shots.
https://www.aframestokyo.com/tesshu-wa-gyuto-270mm-ginsan-steel-blade-japanese-chef-kn270.html
@labor of love I recommend this before you bought your bird knife.

Wow that’s crazy cheap
Yeah, I was pleased with the petties, though I wanted a Sanjo 180 rather than Sakai 180, and prefered a little thinner, more convexed grind for a petty. Takeshi is super helpful, sure he could answer the wide bevel question, and maybe see if anything there is neutral/lefty-friendly.

I was looking at this knife today. Any opinions on it? I'm not normally a huge stainless guy but the dimensions and aesthetics look nice.

It seems like a nice knife to me. It is a good tool and meticulously made. I have had one for 2-3 years. I actually have both the 240 there and the 240 K-tip. They have a good heft to the blade and a full spine. No flex to the blade. Because of the grind it cuts like a laser. The ginsanko gets plenty sharp, not like white steel. Its kinda a toothy edge that it takes. The blade sharpens and deburrs easily. I use it mostly when cutting acid foods. Thats when I use it. I can cut boat loads of tomatoes and not lose an edge. I can't say that for carbon steels. It's fun to ghost through ripe tomato after ripe tomato and not have to touch the blade up.

No patina though. It's not one you will likely spend time polishing. And I doubt you will be the cool dude on KKF for buying one of these.

If you get one let me know how it tapers to the tip. For some reason all the ginsans seem to be fatties. Maybe except Tanakas.
Already owned a blue 1 wide bevel 270 kagekiyo, everything about the knife was flawless.
Too long though so I sold it. Kato standard 230mm broke me. Now I really dig the shorter length Sakai style 230mm gyuto. Especially for thinner blades.

If you get one let me know how it tapers to the tip. For some reason all the ginsans seem to be fatties. Maybe except Tanakas.
This OUL ginsanko gyuto has really won me over. It’s rock solid at 215 grams. But still has a very thin grind. It’s like the kato standard and a Sakai double bevel had a ginsanko child together.

I really like to use Ginsan in the kitchen where I work, so, I have done the same research as yours many times trying to look for another Ginsan knife to buy, but, in general they seem to be all short at the heel. I wonder why. Probably the highest I have seen is the Tanaka Ginsan at KnivesAndStones. If height matters to you.

I think ginsan is my favorite stainless. After I got that yo tanaka a while ago I became more interested in ginsan. I love carbon like everyone else but I really enjoy ginsan. I remember JCK having some kasumi ginsan gyutos as well. Pretty sure they’re sakai. Gesshin kagekiyo ginsan are beautiful. I think I really like the simple looking ginsan at carbon though. Grinds look good. Never thought I would see the day you’re loving shorter knives and stainless man haha. It is really nice to have good stainless in a pro environment though.

Also I know sakai kikumori does ginsan wide bevels. Strata had 240’s but he sold out. Might be available elsewhere.

Back