Knives & Stones Sakai Takayuki Syousin Sakura 240mm Gyuto Passaround in the US

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow awesome you tracked it down Dave, YOU'RE THE MAN!, I was definitely worried it was lost, the post mail has never lost a pass around I have sent out before, there's a first time for everything i guess, who has the K-Tip?

I'm looking at the tracking, and it looks like ****** stuff is happening again. fingers crossed

Eff me running. It made a turn towards Nashville and has been "sorted". This would be comic if it weren't for the knife.

Worlds Largest Welfare Organization. Keep lowering your expectations and they'll eventually meet them.

This is why I WILL NEVER USE THE POSTAL SERVICE AGAIN (to ship a knife). I ended up taking about a $300.00 loss a little over a year ago, thanks to there exceptional incompetence! :bladesmith: I hope the end result is better than mine! GOOD LUCK! :cool2:

This is a good lesson in why it is always worth paying for full insurance when shipping anything USPS...

And it's back to Cinci. Unbelievable. Any bets on what's next?

Shipment ActivityLocationDate & Time
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Arrived at USPS FacilityCINCINNATI, OH 45235June 7, 2015 6:35 pm
Departed USPS FacilityNASHVILLE, TN 37230June 5, 2015 10:40 pm
Arrived at USPS FacilityNASHVILLE, TN 37230June 5, 2015 10:14 pm
Departed USPS FacilityCINCINNATI, OH 45235June 5, 2015 2:22 am
Arrived at USPS FacilityCINCINNATI, OH 45235June 5, 2015 1:09 am
Departed USPS FacilityATLANTA, GA 30320June 3, 2015 10:55 pm
Arrived at USPS FacilityATLANTA, GA 30320June 3, 2015 7:17 pm
ForwardedATLANTA, GAJune 3, 2015 11:02 am

I bet if a camera could somehow follow the knife from the beginning, the footage it gathered would make an excellent documentary lol

And it's back to Cinci. Unbelievable. Any bets on what's next?

Shipment ActivityLocationDate & Time
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Departed USPS FacilityNASHVILLE, TN 37230June 5, 2015 10:40 pm
Arrived at USPS FacilityNASHVILLE, TN 37230June 5, 2015 10:14 pm
Departed USPS FacilityCINCINNATI, OH 45235June 5, 2015 2:22 am
Arrived at USPS FacilityCINCINNATI, OH 45235June 5, 2015 1:09 am
Departed USPS FacilityATLANTA, GA 30320June 3, 2015 10:55 pm
Arrived at USPS FacilityATLANTA, GA 30320June 3, 2015 7:17 pm
ForwardedATLANTA, GAJune 3, 2015 11:02 am

Documented insanity.

haha! i'm off work tomorrow so I will be waiting for it :hungry:

the eagle has landed!!!!! They opened it up and mummy wrapped the **** out of it. The knife is in decent shape though, it gained some rust from sitting unoiled for a few months, but a little fitz took care of that. Sorry Dave, they took the liberty of destroying the original shipping label. WE WILL NEVER KNOW THE TRUTH!

What we all really want to know is, how did the flowers go over with Dave's future ex wife?

So glad to see the knife back in circulation. :doublethumbsup:

What we all really want to know is, how did the flowers go over with Dave's future ex wife?
Future ex-girlfriends are much less expensive;)

It looks like she still has the stock edge on it, and it didn't come back to life when I stropped it on my 5k. I may have to deflower it on the stones......

So, all the problems are sloved now, K-tip is repaired by Jon-da-man, regular one is now shaken out from the bush by Dave, the bent one is being fixed by Chris and going to the PIF program (oh, except one thing, we are still not sure if Dave has secured his ex-girlfriend yet, hope this helped a bit).

I just want to suggest one thing:
Please do insure the knives when you ship to the next person inline and please double check if the address is correct; because a little "doh" moment could potentially cost other people a lot more time and $$ to fix.

With respect,
James

It lives! I've been using this thing for two days at work and it has very little reactivity. It cuts very nicely :groucho:

James, You are being very generous and perhaps too accommodating. At the beginning of the pass around you provided reasonable terms that we all agreed to when asking to participate.

... I am sending the pair (regular shaped gyuto and kiritsuke shaped gyuto) across to the US..... please register your interest here along with which state you are in so that I can arrange accordingly.

The terms:
  • All US KKF members registered before 6/Jan/2015, please register your interest here, I will update the list accordingly.
  • I will send out the knife to Jim (Chinacats) first, and finalize the list before he pass them to the next member in line.
  • The list will be arranged according to your location, which helps the logistics of the knife.
  • You have a week to play with it, please do sharpen it if you feel there is a need to but please make sure you know what you are doing.
  • You are responsible to pack it well and post it to the next member inline, insured. (emphasis mine)
  • Please contact the next member via PM and arrange the postage accordingly. If you are the last person on the list, please post it back to me.
For those not familiar with pass-arounds that means by requesting to participate you are agreeing to use and not abuse knife for a week (sometimes a long week) and then pack it, insure it and mail it to the next person on the list. Shipping a knife within the states is typically about 10 bucks. Insuring the same knife is typically another 10 bucks. In simple terms it means it will cost about 20 bucks to play with the knife. For the remainder of the pass-around, if you're not able/willing to do this please decline to participate. Saving 10 bucks for insurance and taking a chance on delivery is fine - if it's your knife.

Insurance and lack thereof may not have had anything to do with the knife being lost at the PO for 2 months. That part baffles me. But James has made this knife available to this community and if it can't be returned to him he should have a mechanism for being reimbursed for it.

Reunited and it feels so good......

2015-06-17%2020.01.40.jpg

Great to see! Looking forward to these in a few weeks

They've been to Tampa and gone on towards New Orleans. The Crescent City. The Big Easy. I wanted to hand deliver them but it was not to be.

The K shaped came from a lttle refurb and repair at JKI. It was in impeccable shape. Whatever was repaired eluded me. I felt the knife was a little short for Gyuto type work (xxl hands) and a little heavy for a slicer. I liked it but did not love it. Others have liked it a lot. YMMV.

The Gyuto came in separately. I liked it from the start, nimble, good cutter with a little heft to it. Glides through carrots withoug a sound.

On both knives I expected better food release with the wide bevels, could be problematic if spending the day making big things into small things..

Thanks James.

I'll pick these up from the Post office Tuesday, and will probably have them back on the road by the end of the week, as I'm hitting the road for vacation myself this weekend.

Back