Saya Help

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atb

Reaction score
Got a real nice handmade ebony saya last week. It it really close to fitting my yoshikane 240 gyuto, but it's a little tight at the tip end. Wondering if anyone's got a good idea on how I can possibly thin it out a little or fix it otherwise and what tools I may need to do so? Thanks!

If it is already a finished Saya there are not many options unless you are a skilled woodworker who can cut it open on a band saw, chisel out a small amount more by the tip, glue in a thin strip of material so its the same thickness as before you cut it. Glue it all back together, shape it and re-finish it.
Sorry but short of that there isn't much else you can do properly.

now as for redneck engineering you could try a very long thin drill bit at slow speed to lightly take away material......but if you do not have a steady hand and you don't know how close the carved tip is to the outside it is a really bad idea to even try.

Sorry my best advice would be, if you are buying a Saya, get it made to the blade not a one size "might" fit all.

If it is already a finished Saya there are not many options unless you are a skilled woodworker who can cut it open on a band saw, chisel out a small amount more by the tip, glue in a thin strip of material so its the same thickness as before you cut it. Glue it all back together, shape it and re-finish it.
Sorry but short of that there isn't much else you can do properly.

now as for redneck engineering you could try a very long thin drill bit at slow speed to lightly take away material......but if you do not have a steady hand and you don't know how close the carved tip is to the outside it is a really bad idea to even try.

Sorry my best advice would be, if you are buying a Saya, get it made to the blade not a one size "might" fit all.
I appreciate the reply. I figured this would be the answer. All my other sayas either came with the knife or are custom made, this one I didnt have to pay for though, just wanted to try and see if I could make it work.

If it needs more space left to right instead of spine to edge, possibly could glue some sandpaper to a paint stirring stick you've cut down to fit the pointy end of the saya. This isn't a great idea compared to a long thin rasp because of leaving stray grit/abrasive from the sandpaper inside the saya to scratch the blade. But it's doable if you don't have a better option, just try to blow out stray grit or remove it with a tack cloth shoved in there.

If spine to edge space is needed, hacksaw blades glued together to make a homemade rasp is a decent alternative, but you may need to shape the end into a point to fit down to the very tip of the saya.

An appropriate length of music wire with a tip cut with a wire cutter leaving a sharp end. Select the thickness of music wire appropriate for the tip of the knife. Put the music wire in a variable speed Dremel tool and use at a very slow speed. Very carefully ... pretend you’re a dentist ... insert the music wire into the saya and relieve the tight spot blind guiding the music wire carefully by hand. Take your time and go slow. Test fit your knife often. It can be done. Enlist the help of a model maker if you doubt your own ability to pull it off.

Back