SHAVE OF THE DAY

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awsome fotos and razors! And that cobra strop is just really really ultramäktig! Keep posting!

Dude you love shaving in a fancy manor! How many razors do you own?!?

I can honestly say i truly shave about 3 times a year, electric trimmer with no guide is my go to ha

I have my fair share of razors.

So 3 times on a year huh?, i shave more in a week :)

Dude you love shaving in a fancy manor! How many razors do you own?!?

I can honestly say i truly shave about 3 times a year, electric trimmer with no guide is my go to ha

Razor: Heljestrand N6 in Olive wood
Brush: Mr.M Amboyna Burl 2-band Finest
Soap: RazoRock Classic
ASB: Bulldog

Yesterdays shave went great. Made a little brush stand out of Jatoba wood for my tall brushes.

DSC03183_zps7e6f0e8f.jpg

Razor: Parker 13/16
Brush: Mr.M Tall MHW 24mm
Cream: Penhaligon's Endymion
ASB: D&G One
EDP: Penhaligon's Endymion

Honed this NOS razor the other day in Mikael's Garden. Thanks for a great session of honing with cigarr and expresso Mikael, Shave today was super nice.

DSC03207_zpsc5a70a53.jpg

Razor: Henckels Friodur n17 Pair
Brush: Mr.M Tall HWM 24mm
Oil: TOBS
Cream: Penhaligon's Endymion
AS: TOBS Mr.Taylor

Todays shave was Smooth and nice.
Razor's finished on Ozuku Asagi.

[video=youtube;f3bnJOVlwaM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3bnJOVlwaM&list=UUW8eMt9iy0-4JakPtj_oOaA&index=1[/video]​

Razor: King Pelican 6/8 made in Japan
Brush: Custom koa/muskox/buffarlo horn 24mm Silvertip
Cream: RazoRock Classic
AS: Dr.Harris Sandalwood

This blade is a stunning work of art. Shave was nothing but stellar.

Pelican4_zpsdf69634b.jpg

Razor: Merkur 15/16+
Brush: Simpson Tulip 3 Manchurian Badger
Soap: LEA Puck
AS: Bulldog
Skincare: Anthony Logistics Instant Fix Oil
EDT: Armani Code

Today is the last day of the vacation. Heavy Rain and thunder going on. Todays shave was great with new products. The LEA was a nice soap that lather up nice and had a good slick feel. Anthony Logistics Product line seems to be very good aswell.

Merkur_zpsad49834a.jpg

While I love the style of the traditional straight razors, I use a Feather Artist Club DX (those machine made replaceable blades are sharper than any straight...bar none). Also once in a while I use my Feather AS-D2 which is pretty nice.

Have the Feather artist club. With the super blades. Thay are sharp, however just cuz something is sharp dosen't mean it's shaving smooth. I perfer natural Jnat edges witch are much smoother then any replaceable blade to shave with. :)

Have the Feather artist club. With the super blades. Thay are sharp, however just cuz something is sharp dosen't mean it's shaving smooth. I perfer natural Jnat edges witch are much smoother then any replaceable blade to shave with. :)

Yeah I mean I can see what you are saying, but when I can splash hot water on my face, use no shaving cream or soap, and shave without a weeper, or pull or anything of the sort... that's as smooth as I need.

Razor: Bismarck Barbers Spezial 7/8
Brush: M&F 2-Band Blond Badger
Cream: Dr.Harris Windsor
ASB: D&G One
EDP: Costume Intense

Just finished cleaning up my new Bismarck and honed it was a plessure. Delivered a perfect shave. New EDP from Sliqhaq The Costume Intense has a very nice scent, warm and sweet and gets 10/10 from me. Happy weekend gents.

DSC03602_zps4234dac3.jpg

Lovely stuff here. I'm considering getting a DIY IPL job for my hair, though!

Razor - Vintage Parker 13/16 from Japan
Strop - SRW English Bridle 3'
Soap - LEA Hard Soap
Brush - M&F
AS - Alum stick & Bulldog ASB

Fantastic Sunday afternoon shave.

[video=youtube_share;f_8VNVKeGQw]http://youtu.be/f_8VNVKeGQw?list=UUW8eMt9iy0-4JakPtj_oOaA[/video]​

I'm using a cheapo badger brush with Toms of Maine soap...actually it makes a great lather. The razor is a cheapo disposable razor...probably shaved with it over 20 times...what can I say I'm cheap :)

But I would recommend the Toms soap for shaving, it works great.

I'm using a cheapo badger brush with Toms of Maine soap...actually it makes a great lather. The razor is a cheapo disposable razor...probably shaved with it over 20 times...what can I say I'm cheap :)

But I would recommend the Toms soap for shaving, it works great.

cheapo badger brush i cant live with but i know plenty of cheap soaps that works superb

Razor: Jeness Kamisori
Brush: Mr.M 2Tone Amboyna 2-band Finest
Soap: Penhaligons Endymion
EDP: Costume National Intense

DSC02305_zps9b56a45c.jpg

I've been using the same disposable razor about three months :) It's blue, plastic not blue steel :)

Razor: Jeness Kamisori
Brush: Mr.M 2Tone Amboyna 2-band Finest
Soap: Penhaligons Endymion
EDP: Costume National Intense

DSC02305_zps9b56a45c.jpg

Nice kamisori! How difficult to learn as opposed to traditional straight?

Nice kamisori! How difficult to learn as opposed to traditional straight?

Thanks. I find it abit more difficult to use a traditional japanese grinded razor. since you use just one side of the blade against the face and one hand only right hand to shave with.

Razor: Max Sprecher 10/8
Brush: Silvertip
Soap: RazoRock Classic
ASB: D&G The One
EDT: Costume National Intense

Superb shave without a Colombian necktie. But i did finish with a very nice Maduro 5 Magico. :)

DSC04103_zpsa5c94375.jpg

As someone who has intermittently used, whisper it, a Gilette Mach 3 for the last 20-odd years despite hating it, I'm blown away by your collection Mr Magnus. Recently, for the first time, I've purchased a straight razor but feel my technique is way off. Despite being right-handed I'm actually better with my left hand. I put this down to the way I sharpen knives, controlling the angle with my left-hand.

Maybe I've missed it in this thread somewhere but anyone got any pointers. Funnily, if I shave first with my Mach 3 and then work with the straight razor I can get a smoothness I've never had before but this seems like using stabilisers on a bike. I'm an avid cyclist by the way and feel the stabilisers shouldn't last long.

Thanks. I find it abit more difficult to use a traditional japanese grinded razor. since you use just one side of the blade against the face and one hand only right hand to shave with.

Thanks Magnus, I've finally gotten pretty comfortable with a straight, but think that may be too much--even as sexy as it is. Mainly for the reason noted below...

Despite being right-handed I'm actually better with my left hand. I put this down to the way I sharpen knives, controlling the angle with my left-hand.

Same here, but I always attributed it to being more careful--I was shaking the first time I held a razor to my face in my left hand. Now I am much more likely to get cut with my right hand. As to pointers, stick with it!

Cheers

As someone who has intermittently used, whisper it, a Gilette Mach 3 for the last 20-odd years despite hating it, I'm blown away by your collection Mr Magnus. Recently, for the first time, I've purchased a straight razor but feel my technique is way off. Despite being right-handed I'm actually better with my left hand. I put this down to the way I sharpen knives, controlling the angle with my left-hand.

Maybe I've missed it in this thread somewhere but anyone got any pointers. Funnily, if I shave first with my Mach 3 and then work with the straight razor I can get a smoothness I've never had before but this seems like using stabilisers on a bike. I'm an avid cyclist by the way and feel the stabilisers shouldn't last long.

edited

There is many great helping threads for you on Straightrazorplace where u can find all answers to your questions. i recommend everyone picking up a straight razor for the first time to read and watch alot of videos before thay start cuz it is indeed an art to shave with straights and it takes time to master it but it also pays off for those that sticks with it cuz in the end u wont find a better shave once u know what your doing.

Thanks Magnus, I've finally gotten pretty comfortable with a straight, but think that may be too much--even as sexy as it is. Mainly for the reason noted below...

thay do indeed look cool and thay get the job done. however i perfer the westerns since thay give me a easier shave

There is many great helping threads for you on Straightrazorplace where u can find all answers to your questions. i recommend everyone picking up a straight razor for the first time to read and watch alot of videos before thay start cuz it is indeed an art to shave with straights and it takes time to master it but it also pays off for those that sticks with it cuz in the end u wont find a better shave once u know what your doing.

Thanks. Don't know that site. Tried Badger and Blade but found it bewildering. That's not a slight on them, just my own ignorance on the subject.

Same here, but I always attributed it to being more careful--I was shaking the first time I held a razor to my face in my left hand. Now I am much more likely to get cut with my right hand. As to pointers, stick with it!

Cheers

The left and right thing is a weird phenomenon. Will definitely stick with it as the bits I do well far surpass any shave I've had before. The problems are mostly under the jaw-bone and a couple of nooks and crannies by the throat. Thus far I've avoided any serious disfigurement to my beautiful face (others would be of a different opinion) but I struggle to hold the correct angles in the trickier places. That said, I'm only at it a week or two and can see progress already in terms of technique.

Back