Shibata Kotetsu R2 vs AS Type III

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Stephen, I would choose mainly based on you preferences for profile. The R2 are "bunka/kiritsuke" shaped with a low tip (this line was launched before the AS version). The AS (at least the gyuto) have a more traditional gyuto profile. Both lines are similar in terms of grind and performance. I´ve tried the r2 150petty, bunka, 210 gyuto and also the as 210 gyuto. I prefer the R2 line because the low tip suits my cutting style best but would not hesitate to get the AS version.

Is the Kotetsu flimsy at all? I always wanted to try a r-2 knife but was hesitant because I heard they break if dropeped

Is the Kotetsu flimsy at all? I always wanted to try a r-2 knife but was hesitant because I heard they break if dropeped
Most knives bend or chip severely when dropped. R2 is rather hard so it could potentially break part of the top off.

Piece of advice, don't drop your knives :)

they are ground thin and light. This is a pro and con. The user needs to be aware, but NOTHING glides through carrots like a shibata!

Most knives bend or chip severely when dropped. R2 is rather hard so it could potentially break part of the top off.

Piece of advice, don't drop your knives :)
To OP - I haven't got any got any Shibata Kotetsu knives in AS but do have a couple in R2. I don't find them particularly fragile or flimsy for lasers. In fact, I think they are far more robust than Takamura red handled series.

And do take heed of @Raleighcook15's advice - "don't drop your knives". Extra tip... if you do drop them, don't try and stop them with your foot. Don't ask me how I know. :eek:

I bought one of the earlier shibatas from chubo when they launched. I would not buy again, I sold it to one of my cooks. I used it to break down a salmon and the blade from tip to heel had 1mm chips in it randomly down it. I don’t know if anything has changed on the newer knives. It put work in on basic veggies though.

I bought one of the earlier shibatas from chubo when they launched. I would not buy again, I sold it to one of my cooks. I used it to break down a salmon and the blade from tip to heel had 1mm chips in it randomly down it. I don’t know if anything has changed on the newer knives. It put work in on basic veggies though.
Yeah I would not fault the knife for that. That knife is not made for breaking down salmon.

Was it the stock edge or did you put a new one on it?

I had a similar issue with the R2 210mm gyuto first day at work and it chipped cutting an onion on a wooden board. Next thing i new i had a 1mm chip in the middle and had to spend money fixing it. It was a factory edge. Ended up selling it to a friend who has had no problems with it.

Was it the stock edge or did you put a new one on it?

it was the initial edge. I had, had the knife for about two weeks it got stropped once or twice before the chips happened. After I chipped it all to hell, I took it down and got them all out. Put a new edge on it and it became a test dummy for me. Tried it again and this time it fared better but still not great.

Kotetsu is a hard knife though... it is really sharp and delicate... lack of knife skill and careless will go sideways.
I can see why people here don't really like laser style of knives because it is not foolproof.

Back