Shibata Tank?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradmacmt

Reaction score
Wondering who has one or has used one? Thought's / observations?

Obviously it's a sort of cross between a lot of different things.

I have a close friend who has one - it's his most used, daily knife, and he has a LOT of knives!

Thanks

If you like a bunka tip and cleaver height with a thin sharp grind. It is an excellent blade. The Aogami Super is easy to sharpen and holds a great edge. Plus the AS does a hell of a patina with contrast to the SS.
IMG_0025.jpeg

I have 3 (don't ask why, I don't know either). They are fun and unique knives that don't really fall into one particular category. It's sorta like a hybrid between a cleaver due to weight and height, and a really fine gyuto tip.

They weigh usually in the low to mid 300s with stock handle. Profile is more belly than a typical cleaver, but it works. Lots of concentrated mass in a short space. Spine is massive, so with the weight coupled with the fine grind, it powers thru everything with ease. Feels like just raw high performance and power. The tip is very fine, so you wouldn't think so, but you can actually do fine detail work with it.

Fit and finish from shibata is excellent. All the key areas are fully rounded and polished wonderfully. The one gripe I have is the handle. The stock handle is sized and installed like a large gyuto, which to me feels awkward with this type of blade. It features a long handle installed with a "neck" between the handle and choil. My personal preference is to instead treat it like a cleaver with a stubby short handle installed much closer to the choil for better control.

Overall though I think this is one that you just need to try. There's nothing quite like it. And it's surprising how well it performs in spite of its strange proportions.

Thank you @tostadas - that's very helpful. Also, the link @Marek07 provided is informative.

I ordered mine without a handle, since I prefer lighter ho wood. With that bit of info tostadas, I'll definitely get something on the short side - or at least cut the handle down prior to install.

Thank you @tostadas - that's very helpful. Also, the link @Marek07 provided is informative.

I ordered mine without a handle, since I prefer lighter ho wood. With that bit of info tostadas, I'll definitely get something on the short side - or at least cut the handle down prior to install.

Out of curiosity if you ordered direct do you remember if you got any sort of price reduction competed to ordering from an online vender like knives and stones for example?

Where can you order directly? I know it takes some time, and I am ok with that, but I couldn't find where to order directly.

伝統の打刃物をお届けする「ナイフ・ギャラリー」 (is one of his many strangely named companies! and the showroom in Fukuyama) they stock all sorts not just Shibata, so worth a look anyway.

Use the contact form rather than adding to the basket, lady there can converse in English, and is super helpful (seriously ridiculously helpful).
There is a waiting list, which I was told 6 months normally but mine was more like 2m. (May have helped that I bought something else first). I didn't get it imported as I was out there, they shipped to my hotel.

Not really used mine in anger much yet, (still sorting storage out for my purchases) but very pleased with it.

Cheers
Nipsy

I really appreciate the well executed details of the tank. The whole class doesn't appeal to me. It's me not them... at this level of knife enthusiast, there is an element of personal preference and what clicks with me.

Nothing wrong with the knife, everyone should try one.

Back