Shig alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would really like to know the price of the Kitaeji as well. I could only dream of such a gyuto these days.

I finally found the email list. This is both good and bad. :laugh:

I'm about to backorder a Kitaeji Gyuto on JapanWoodworker. Per chance, does anyone know the reputation of that site (Currently - I've not bought from them since...2012?)?

Also, does anyone have a list of which Shigs Maksim posted this morning?

Shigefusa Kitaeji 240 mm Wa Gyuto

Shigefusa Kasumi 240 mm Wa Gyuto

Shigefusa Kurouchi 165 mm Wa Santoku

I'm about to backorder a Kitaeji Gyuto on JapanWoodworker. Per chance, does anyone know the reputation of that site (Currently - I've not bought from them since...2012?)?

Also, does anyone have a list of which Shigs Maksim posted this morning?

Japan wood worker are reputable as they have a very long relationship with shigefusa but their ETA are highly unreliable

I've heard its gotten worse, that the couple who ran it retired, and the new owners use a wholesaler. So they can only place bulk orders, I guess.

I may just know where a couple late 90s shigs just landed in the us

Think I saw some pics of a Shig Kiritsuke and Yanagi on JNS's instagram, but not sure if they are up for sale yet.

both the 210mm and 240mm Yanagi are sold now .. is it just me or they seem expensive for the length.. i could have brought them but I didnt see any value at these length vs price

Maxim (jns) just posted 2 shigefusa yanagiba kasumi 210 and 240

hope its still there

I agree ynot1985, those were more expensive than Tosho for the length.

Sigh... Sat for days waiting for the Kiritsuke to pop up. Of COURSE it doesn't.

I actually got to see the knives still for sale this time. 😊

To be fair, maxim probably had to deal with overflow from the 15% off sale....I think posting those pics so early might have thrown some peoples off.

@ Omega

(edited for @ Omega)

@lagrangeL2 Oh, yeah it's no problem the lull between the IG posts and the items being offered. Just hate when we see things on IG that are ancient custom orders finally coming in. Like the Kitaeji 210 yo-gyuto we saw a couple months back on IG (the same time as the Kitaeji 240 yo-Suji) that never made it to the site.

that kiritsuke could most likely be a custom order.. I know he doesn't take custom orders anymore but I know people who have either placed orders with him years ago or customers that go way back with Maksim get Shigs there were never placed on the site.

I would suspect the kiritsuke to be one of these as they are as rare as a hen's tooth. I think only Taro has one from what I remember

Looks like there was "much" less interest than in the Katos from that same email, lasted approx 10000x as long! Nothing else still avail after 90 seconds but that Kasumi...

Did anyone get approval for any order made yesterday,
I have and order number but no emails came in yet,
not for payment approval from PayPal and also not from JNS
Confirming order nor canceling one, in the past those two emails used to show up after 2-3 minutes after the order was in.
I'm assuming JNS system is very busy after yesterday's "WAR"

anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Did anyone get approval for any order made yesterday,
I have and order number but no emails came in yet,
not for payment approval from PayPal and also not from JNS
Confirming order nor canceling one, in the past those two emails used to show up after 2-3 minutes after the order was in.
I'm assuming JNS system is very busy after yesterday's "WAR"

anyone else experiencing the same thing?

probably just maxim busy hehe, my 240 dammy is just waiting for shipping.

Back