Shigafusa Question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smurfmacaw

Reaction score
Is it just me? Just used my brand new shig kitaeji nakiri for some light cutting last night (summer squash and other easy veg) and the new edge has micro chipping. When I bought my gyuto a couple years ago same story. Cleaned up the edge and it's been awesome ever since. Is there a reason they chip so easily when new? Should I just suck it up and take it to the stones before using it? Microbevel maybe? I hate taking it to the stones right away since I'd like to enjoy the finish for a bit at least...the finish is difficult to duplicate, although I'm starting to play with polishing up my German junkers just to see what kind of works and what doesn't.

thanks

Mike

I was talking to So from Japan tool and he was telling me knives that come from shigefusa have a very low degree bevel and they expect their users to put whatever kind of microbevel they want on their knives when they receive them.

Just adding a microbevel shouldnt mess up the finish and help the edge a lot. As for refinishing there are a few blog posts on hides blog about shigefusa refinishing.

I wasn't aware they expected the user to put a micro-bevel on. Easy enough solution. Also enjoyed the discussion in the link. My wife thinks I'm off my gourd because I like standing over the sink sharpening knives. I find it therapeutic. Now I have to find some time when she isn't around to break into my stash of as yet unrevealed blue boxes and grind some micro-bevels.

I was talking to So from Japan tool and he was telling me knives that come from shigefusa have a very low degree bevel and they expect their users to put whatever kind of microbevel they want on their knives when they receive them.

Ah, yes. This would back up my suspicion that this "get to the good steel" concept is a myth. the OOTB edge is fragile because of the acuteness of it, not because of the quality of the steel. I like this notion

I concur with this. Out of the box the edge is extremely acute with no discernible secondary bevel at all. I think a quick lick on a 4000 grit shapton glass and then a strop on the 8000 will get things where they should be. The wife knows about this one so I can fix it tonight lol. I have to get some better high grit stones, the glass stones are ok in lower grits but the high grit ones are really slippery feeling.

Best reason I've heard to have ho wood handles on all your knives. Makes them hard to tell apart for the uninitiated.

Rick

Aha that actually works great. Or to just buy so many knives they can't tell which is new :p

Best reason I've heard to have ho wood handles on all your knives. Makes them hard to tell apart for the uninitiated.

Rick

Lol, that's why all my radio controlled sailplanes are the same color.

I hit the edge on the 8000 grit stone for a nice smooth micro bevel and now it's like a laser beam. Nice blue patina after a veggie session. I'll probably be looking for a 12-step knife program soon!

I'll probably be looking for a 12-step knife program soon!
It goes like this:
3 gyutos
2 american custom gyutos
2 sujis
1 petty
1 parer
1 chuka
and 2 single bevels of your choice.

those are the first twelve steps.

I concur with this. Out of the box the edge is extremely acute with no discernible secondary bevel at all. I think a quick lick on a 4000 grit shapton glass and then a strop on the 8000 will get things where they should be. The wife knows about this one so I can fix it tonight lol. I have to get some better high grit stones, the glass stones are ok in lower grits but the high grit ones are really slippery feeling.
I agree. First time I noticed micro chipping was on my kitaeji gyuto, some while ago. I fixed it with some regular sharpening on high grit, resulting in a very small primary edge since it was so thin behind the edge. I haven't entered this micro bevel business yet... ;)

Then, a few weeks ago I looked over a couple of Shigefusa kurouchi knives I have and noticed some micro chips. Also noticed what you describe: no secondary bevel/primary edge that I could see. A bit odd.

Back