Show me your best cleaver

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Feel free to post whatever cleaver that you consider the best you have or have tried, but I’m mainly interested to see some top cleavers from people who have at least tried 5-10 cleavers. A picture or two would be awesome.

You'd think I'd be in a very good position to answer this question. I have 16 cleavers, not counting the ones I started with and don't use any more. Most of my cutting is with cleavers. But I find the question paralyzing. It would be like asking someone which is their best knife of all types. It all depends on what the task calls for. I guess the ones that most stand out are:

The monster Mazaki, whose perfect balance point makes it seem nimble and easy to use, despite the 692g weight.

The large Denka, whose aggressive edge never fails to put a smile on my face

The two Konosukis, one of which is a perfect middle-of the-road cleaver, and the other of which once featured in a post the seller made in a thread about what knife is your thinnest behind the edge. I pull that one out for when slices have to be as thin as I can physically make them.

But singling out these 4 doesn't mean I don't love the other 12. Or 10, really, because two of them are specialized for cutting through various kinds of bones. Very useful, but don't really inspire affection or pleasure in use. Two of the Watanabes certainly deserve a shout out for coming so easily to hand, so often.

Man this is a tough one. Definitely between the Okubo monster cleaver and the Isasmedjan Jonas.
Both are equally amazing at what they do and both look amazing too. If I had to choose only one I might have to lean towards the Okubo. Just because it can handle anything. I haven’t tried it yet, but I think it would split a lobster just fine too.
IMG_0003.jpeg
CA39A787-D057-4CB6-B581-8E73CBCE633B.jpeg

Thanks man. Yea, I have read through that thread. Wanted to have something more focused. i'm gathering a short list of cleavers to try. I started trying cleavers since late last year. tried 7-8 of them, but nothing worked for me so far. I still haven't given up on the big rectangle though!

Man this is a tough one. Definitely between the Okubo monster cleaver and the Isasmedjan Jonas.
Both are equally amazing at what they do and both look amazing too. If I had to choose only one I might have to lean towards the Okubo. Just because it can handle anything. I haven’t tried it yet, but I think it would split a lobster just fine too.
View attachment 322390View attachment 322391
Is that a birch bark saya? What in the world

You'd think I'd be in a very good position to answer this question. I have 16 cleavers, not counting the ones I started with and don't use any more. Most of my cutting is with cleavers. But I find the question paralyzing. It would be like asking someone which is their best knife of all types. It all depends on what the task calls for. I guess the ones that most stand out are:

The monster Mazaki, whose perfect balance point makes it seem nimble and easy to use, despite the 692g weight.
Could post the Mazaki handle? I'm curious how a cleaver could balance that way.

A maker friend of his told me that he is, you just have to contact him. He just a hobbyist at this point.

This guy clearly cleavers if bst is a indication.
Hahaha. It's bad. Like @Rangen said above, have had 20+ by now. Except all western makers. Always happy to provide a short list of favorites for those who are interested. People are sleeping on Krichbaum though... I have no doubt he'll be one of the "impossible to get" makers in a couple more years

Hahaha. It's bad. Like @Rangen said above, have had 20+ by now. Except all western makers. Always happy to provide a short list of favorites for those who are interested. People are sleeping on Krichbaum though... I have no doubt he'll be one of the "impossible to get" makers in a couple more years
I would be curious on a list (although i have no space for them :( …)

Really hard for me to nail down one cleaver that I prefer. Some are just better suited for certain tasks, and one has such a sentimental hold over me that even if it cut like a brick I'd still love it.

From a pure performance standpoint, I think my Nguyen would be my choice. It’s a superb all around knife, does very well with both food release and dealing with tall dense produce.

IMG_0358.jpeg

IMG_0359.jpeg

For large recipes with lots of ingredients, I’d choose my Laseur. Someone dubbed it “kitchen plate” in messages, which is very appropriate. Cuts extremely well, core steel holds a great edge, and this makes a bench scraper look like a child’s toy. Also, it’s the only knife I have that has a very lovely “ring”. If you tap it with your nail or other hard surface, it sings to you in a way that no other knife in my collection does. It’s a special one 🙂

IMG_0360.jpeg
IMG_0361.jpeg

Finally, my first cleaver custom, my first love. Might try and talk @KAMON Knives into thinning it soon, though shipping my beloved so far away makes me nervous. Well, she’s a beast. The front half thins out quite a bit so it just does everything I throw at it really, really well. What it lacks in thinness behind the edge in the back half for denser produce, it more than makes up for with weight behind the cut. The etch makes it a lot less fussy than a lot of my other cleavers, and this s-grind is my go to for any large volume prep that requires consistent, even slices. I love the handle so much… never seen another solid Timascus milled handle, and since I played a part in sourcing the material, it means that much more to me. Working with Ben and seeing this knife come to life will be one of my core memories when I’m old and feeble.

IMG_0364.jpeg
IMG_0362.jpeg

Last edited:
Really hard for me to nail down one cleaver that I prefer. Some are just better suited for certain tasks, and one has such a sentimental hold over me that even if it cut like a brick I'd still love it.

From a pure performance standpoint, I think my Nguyen would be my choice. It’s a superb all around knife, does very well with both food release and dealing with tall dense produce.

View attachment 323091
View attachment 323092

For large recipes with lots of ingredients, I’d choose my Laseur. Someone dubbed it “kitchen plate” in messages, which is very appropriate. Cuts extremely well, core steel holds a great edge, and this makes a bench scraper look like a child’s toy. Also, it’s the only knife I have that has a very lovely “ring”. If you tap it with your nail or other hard surface, it sings to you in a way that no other knife in my collection does. It’s a special one 🙂

View attachment 323093View attachment 323094

Finally, my first cleaver custom, my first love. Might try and talk @KAMON Knives into thinning it soon, though shipping my beloved so far away makes me nervous. Well, she’s a beast. What it lacks in thinness behind the edge for denser produce, it more than makes up for with weight behind the cut. The etch makes it a lot less fussy than a lot of my other cleavers, and this s-grind is my go to for any large volume prep that requires consistent, even slices. I love the handle so much… never seen another solid Timascus milled handle, and since I played a part in sourcing the material, it means that much more to me. Working with Ben and seeing this knife come to life will be one of my core memories when I’m old and feeble.

View attachment 323095View attachment 323096
You lucky SOB!! I drooled so hard over both that Nguyen and Laseur. It's even worse now knowing that they perform so well haha. Lovely collection man

Back