Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bad cell shots but I picked up the new Fujiyama lines kiritsuke gyuto in blue #1.
Truly impressive grind and blows my mm ginsan out of the water on grind and food release.

The shinogi is basically a faux with a touch of it existing at the heel. Good heft in the back of the knife with a very quick distal taper into a razor of the remaining 3/4 of the blade.

Attachments

• 933A7CA4-4524-4CFE-8A26-8C2161B90A93.jpeg
    933A7CA4-4524-4CFE-8A26-8C2161B90A93.jpeg
    15.7 KB · Views: 235
  • 1C376442-F9A4-4FD1-8F92-A641B04EB99C.jpeg
    1C376442-F9A4-4FD1-8F92-A641B04EB99C.jpeg
    40 KB · Views: 259
  • D2A38990-4DED-4270-8787-E067337E5126.jpeg
    D2A38990-4DED-4270-8787-E067337E5126.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Just landed one of my unicorns, 210mm Shigefusa Kitaeji Western, polished and thinned by JKI

Attachments

• 732A798F-9F2C-4C25-B81D-91E3B97BD0D4.jpeg
    732A798F-9F2C-4C25-B81D-91E3B97BD0D4.jpeg
    53.4 KB · Views: 597
  • DBC848BC-E598-416F-8385-ABA957A8D20D.jpeg
    DBC848BC-E598-416F-8385-ABA957A8D20D.jpeg
    51.5 KB · Views: 325
  • A2E6E2C3-9BC8-4A65-B1F2-F081E5707DD0.jpeg
    A2E6E2C3-9BC8-4A65-B1F2-F081E5707DD0.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 304
  • 122F20D7-DBB2-4BD0-B887-D9548C9E456F.jpeg
    122F20D7-DBB2-4BD0-B887-D9548C9E456F.jpeg
    18.1 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
0iowXsc_d.jpg

A rare pair indeed. The top is a 300mm honyaki yanagi forged by Shiraki Kenichi, the bottom is a 180mm petty forged by Yoshikazu Ikeda, the kanji is Yamada who was a teacher of both Ikeda and Shiraki San. For blacksmith purposes he used the label Kunimasa. So there's your history lesson for the day lol. These should arrive in Canada next week sometime.

Bad cell shots but I picked up the new Fujiyama lines kiritsuke gyuto in blue #1.
Truly impressive grind and blows my mm ginsan out of the water on grind and food release.

The shinogi is basically a faux with a touch of it existing at the heel. Good heft in the back of the knife with a very quick distal taper into a razor of the remaining 3/4 of the blade.
That’s interesting because I’ve read that the MM line compares favorably to Fujiyama, but maybe blue MM different from ginsan MM.

That’s interesting because I’ve read that the MM line compares favorably to Fujiyama, but maybe blue MM different from ginsan MM.

Yeah they are drastically different knives, I’ve used the blue 2 mm as well and they really aren’t compareable. I’ve found on the ones I used, from thickness to taper to rock they are just different knives, as well as the shaping on this kiritsuke gyuto is a little more tip down with a little bit of a curve for rocking. The mm have pretty high tips and are great all around knives.

MM 240 ginsan for reference on the right

Attachments

• 1DE9FBC6-2C84-4073-81AE-B005C1BAAEC3.jpeg
    1DE9FBC6-2C84-4073-81AE-B005C1BAAEC3.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Thx, and sorry to hear about your knife :(

Going on five months now I think it’s a lost cause. Sadly I can’t get in touch with the private seller for the refund.
Made a deal with myself that I wouldn’t buy another knife until this saga gets resolved [emoji51]

Well... I've joined the Watanabe family finally. Here's my new 240 Ku blue 2 gyuto from Carbonknifeco. Craig is the best kind of person to deal with and always gets cool toys. He showed me all his inventory of Watanabe gyu from the most recent shipment and let me pick which one i wanted. The booty on this one was the thinnest behind the edge and he told me that the rest of the blade had similar feeling. SO without further nonsense here she is:

mYbVoKu.jpg

WF28LSn.jpg

1fJCHPs.jpg

2m7JN9k.jpg

Well... I've joined the Watanabe family finally. Here's my new 240 Ku blue 2 gyuto from Carbonknifeco. Craig is the best kind of person to deal with and always gets cool toys. He showed me all his inventory of Watanabe gyu from the most recent shipment and let me pick which one i wanted. The booty on this one was the thinnest behind the edge and he told me that the rest of the blade had similar feeling. SO without further nonsense here she is:

mYbVoKu.jpg

WF28LSn.jpg

1fJCHPs.jpg

2m7JN9k.jpg

That looks great.

I have been wanting to try a Watanabe but am afraid it will be too similar to my Toyama.

That looks great.

I have been wanting to try a Watanabe but am afraid it will be too similar to my Toyama.

Never had a toyama but have seen their grinds/pics on that site that sells them. Grinds look totally different between this wide bevel watanabe and the toyamas. Might be worth it to try. The kasumi do look very similar though.

Thanks. Let us know how you like the Watanabe.

I haven't cut with it yet but i sharpened it last night. OOTB edge was basically non existent. Laid the wide bevel on a semi-hard and very fine jnat, raised it as slightly as possible and 3 minutes of sharpening caused it to cut toilet paper with ease.

Never had a toyama but have seen their grinds/pics on that site that sells them. Grinds look totally different between this wide bevel watanabe and the toyamas. Might be worth it to try. The kasumi do look very similar though.

I have the KU and Kasumi Watanabe and the grinds are quite different.

11990175-A54F-425E-B4EA-E0B6B7C2CD1C.jpeg
91ED3DE1-00B5-462F-8DBE-67E032F12D8C.jpeg
How would you describe the difference?
(I've only ever used the KU.)
Here’s a choil shot for a kasumi watanabe I owned for like a day. It’s definitely a thinner than usual (only 200 grams instead of 240ish grams) watanabe but the grind is about the same on thicker ones.
Now compare this to the KU choil shot above and I think you’ll notice a difference.

Here’s a choil shot for a kasumi watanabe I owned for like a day. It’s definitely a thinner than usual (only 200 grams instead of 240ish grams) watanabe but the grind is about the same on thicker ones.
Now compare this to the KU choil shot above and I think you’ll notice a difference.
Thanks! Those pics help.
Noticeable difference--KU seems more shouldery in the grind too.

How would you describe the difference?
(I've only ever used the KU.)

The KU has a pretty symmetrical wide bevel grind with not much convexity if any, the Kasumi is strongly asymmetrical and has strong convexity on the right side. Also, the Kasumi s ground so that the mid section is way thinner than the KU (while the spines aren't that far off), the Kasumi has a gradual taper from spine to edge until it hits the apex of the convexity (which OOTB is about 3-4mm above the edge); the KU has almost no taper from spine to the top of the bevels and the it's ground much more aggressively (my KU is actually thinner OOTB on the last 5mm close to the edge than the Kasumi).

The KU has a pretty symmetrical wide bevel grind with not much convexity if any, the Kasumi is strongly asymmetrical and has strong convexity on the right side. Also, the Kasumi s ground so that the mid section is way thinner than the KU (while the spines aren't that far off), the Kasumi has a gradual taper from spine to edge until it hits the apex of the convexity (which OOTB is about 3-4mm above the edge); the KU has almost no taper from spine to the top of the bevels and the it's ground much more aggressively (my KU is actually thinner OOTB on the last 5mm close to the edge than the Kasumi).
Wonderful detail! Thanks for laying it out.

No wonder kasumi versions never worked for me (left handed)

Damn, guys. Now you're making me want to get the KU as well, just so I can try them side by side.

Back