Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He’s got Gyutos (180,210,240) and Petties (150,210) on his website in both 52100 and AEB-L. Go get em, y’all!

He says they have more pronounced distal taper. I haven't seen one yet, but if that's true, I think they'll be improved over his older ones (I found mine a bit too forward-balanced for my tastes).

The petty doesn’t have a ton of taper, but after all it’s a petty. Seems chunkier than I thought it would be for the short height. 29mm at the heel, 2.5mm thick at the spine over about 1/2-2/3 of the knife, then tapers down to a little less than 1mm at 1cm from the tip. Pretty light, though, at 78g.

386E8E14-70F5-4A2F-847C-CFBC8BE1F290.jpeg

0B1FA9E8-97A5-4F66-93C5-BA426D95CC23.jpeg
7833428A-E2C0-4251-AD83-57040C11169E.jpeg
8F2F1878-5ECE-4C16-BB1B-819952C6E90B.jpeg
FF452835-8267-4A0E-94E2-218CDD1E0975.jpeg

This is my second Black Lotus, the first was such a joy to use that I wanted a second. Jeff Steele, the owner/maker, of Black Lotus collaborated with some friends of mine and came up with this. Couldn’t be happier!

Bro you lapped me with that one. Unreal!! Like Steve said, Aussie river jump. Just fantastic man! Enjoy!!!
Steve played a big part in the idea of that knife, Jeff has the ability is listen to guys and then make it a reality, pretty good combo. I landed my two Black Lotus blades before his books get to far out. Those guys down under on doing some fine work, 9nines, Kippington, Tansu, Black Lotus, that’s all top shelf in my book.

Picked this up on a trade, had wanted to try an Xerxes forever but not the easiest to come by in the US, so far loving the geometry, tip is a bit too thin and seems to bend too easily, I might have it trimmed off next time it’s being sharpened.

IMG_9199.jpg

IMG_9200.jpg

IMG_9201.jpg

Picked this up on a trade, had wanted to try an Xerxes forever but not the easiest to come by in the US, so far loving the geometry, tip is a bit too thin and seems to bend too easily, I might have it trimmed off next time it’s being sharpened.

View attachment 66156
View attachment 66157
View attachment 66158
That's a lovely looking blade! I have a Xerxes Primus and while I wouldn't say the tip is "too thin", it is EXTREMELY thin and I know one day I'm going to snap it off due to a mistake. Until that day, though, it'll be my go-to onion slayer.

Hmmmmmm I don’t think there can ever be an end game ... just a current favourite!
End game because it has all i want in a knife and much more and i don't feel like looking elsewhere. For me it's perfect. I like its simplicity and character: it feels crafted not machined. The blue steel the perfect balance right under the last kanji, that profile with full flatness the shape the weight the distal taper, that smooth ku...the cloudy kasumi and that wonderful miror edge. You need to hold one to understand the feeling. You know that feeling when you are always searching for something better...well now it's silence just calm and confidence. I have many knives including two kato workhorses 240...and i would give them all up but this one.
And about money gone after buying...i think Kato makes up for every penny. Compared to its many copies ( which copy shape and profile and just throw in a better handle as if that matters) and sell for almost as much, i prefer the original.
And i realized one more thing these days... i am a romantic and care about the story behind the product about the making about the man...his traditions and rituals.
Cheers!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back