Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Masakage shimo petty (150mm) from Knifewear

12465042534_81934cb351_c.jpg

12464534755_58febdbdeb_c.jpg

12465055184_797a80ab70_c.jpg

12464593845_c8efc780ef_c.jpg

I really like it; light, nimble, sleek spine and very thin profile. Fit and finish is more then okay, handle well fitted, spine and choil not that bad, doesn't need rounding for my taste.

Well, my photography skills suck. But, I promised some better pictures...so, here we go:

First up: Devin Thomas 240mm San Mai Gyuto in XHP, Cocobolo handle, bog oak ferrule, mammoth tooth spacer.

Next: Shigefusa 300mm Kasumi Yanagiba. Stock ho-wood handle with buffalo horn bolster.

Itinomonn Kasumi 210mm Gyuto. Stock ho-wood handle and buffalo horn bolster

Itinomonn Kurouchi 180mm Deba, again...stock handle.

Delbert Ealy Parer with Box Elder, and green dyed box elder.

Last, and most certainly least...
Tojiro Shirogami 240mm Yanagiba, rehandled.

ohbewon> can you get a side shot of the Itinomonn gyuto? What do you think of the grind?

huh, that doesn't look too bad. Looks like 4" or so that is pretty flat? How thick behind the edge does it feel? How does it cut compared to others you've used? Thanks for any feedback, looking to possibly pick one up

huh, that doesn't look too bad. Looks like 4" or so that is pretty flat? How thick behind the edge does it feel? How does it cut compared to others you've used? Thanks for any feedback, looking to possibly pick one up
The belly isn't terribly big. In my opinion, it has the perfect amount for huge amounts of prep. I push cut when prepping mostly, depending on the task, so I find what little belly it has to be useful. I got the from Vinster, and he's a master on the stones, so it's pretty thin behind the edge. Factory? I don't really know. I feel like from the factory, it would be pretty thick behind the edge. The spine is super thick, and it tapers down mildly until you get down to about 5mm above the kasumi line, then it tapers pretty dramatically. Vinh thinned it out pretty well. Overall, IMHO, it's a great bang for the buck. New, they're about $220 from JNS, and used, I should expect you to pay somewhere around the ballpark of $165. Which, again IMHO is super cheap for the performance quality of this dude. My only qualm...which some people don't have a problem with, is the handle. They leave a little to be desired. Theres nothing in particular I don't like. They're just boring. :) I plan on having Stefan rehandle this at some point...after I recover from all of those purchases. I think it'll be a pearl then.

Wow, my western is anything but light. It's tipping close to 300 grams. It is fairly thin behind the edge, though.

Itinomonn's are fantastic, and I'd rock only one of them happily, if I had to.

So it was a rough morning, but it all gets better serendipitously. I stopped by Carter Cutlery this afternoon to look at knives and make myself feel better. I didn't intend on retail therapy... Well, ended up having the immense pleasure of watching and chatting with Murray while he finished this nakiri. Of course, which I promptly bought! It was my lucky day. He said customers normally don't get to go back into the shop. What an amazing experience! My first and certainly won't be my last Carter!

Not the best pictures, but took them in failing light indoors because it was raining outside and couldn't find my tripod. My apologies.

Carter 5.1 sun kuro-uchi nakiri in shirogami #1.

Generic handle since it was a very last minute and unplanned completion of this piece. No other handles fit. I may or may not replace it. I rather like the simple handle! I'll write up a quick blurb tomorrow about my visit after I get some sleep.

A huge thanks for Murray, Kenny (I hope, I only caught his name once), and Jason!! :doublethumbsup:

Gavin.

Carter51W1Nakiri130212a.jpg

Carter51W1Nakiri130212b.jpg

So it was a rough morning, but it all gets better serendipitously. I stopped by Carter Cutlery this afternoon to look at knives and make myself feel better. I didn't intend on retail therapy... Well, ended up having the immense pleasure of watching and chatting with Murray while he finished this nakiri. Of course, which I promptly bought! It was my lucky day. He said customers normally don't get to go back into the shop. What an amazing experience! My first and certainly won't be my last Carter!

Not the best pictures, but took them in failing light indoors because it was raining outside and couldn't find my tripod. My apologies.

Carter 5.1 sun kuro-uchi nakiri in shirogami #1.

Generic handle since it was a very last minute and unplanned completion of this piece. No other handles fit. I may or may not replace it. I rather like the simple handle! I'll write up a quick blurb tomorrow about my visit after I get some sleep.

A huge thanks for Murray, Kenny (I hope, I only caught his name once), and Jason!! :doublethumbsup:

Gavin.

Carter51W1Nakiri130212a.jpg

Carter51W1Nakiri130212b.jpg

thats awesome man.... im both jealous and relived it wasnt me(i;d have bought the store out :) )

Nice. I picked up a no frill, "2 rivet" Carter Nakiri (165 - my conversion program does not do Suns). Not always the first knife I reach for but definitely fun knife to use. Your rehandle options, should you go that route, may be limited if it's a half tang. Dave M did a hidden tang western on mine that I like a lot.

thats awesome man.... im both jealous and relived it wasnt me(i;d have bought the store out :) )

Yea, there wasn't a lot to buy out though since everything goes so quick! Mostly neck knives left!

Nice. I picked up a no frill, "2 rivet" Carter Nakiri (165 - my conversion program does not do Suns). Not always the first knife I reach for but definitely fun knife to use. Your rehandle options, should you go that route, may be limited if it's a half tang. Dave M did a hidden tang western on mine that I like a lot.

5.4 sun. 30.3 mm per sun. Not sure why I have it memorized, but it's just stuck in my head haha. It's full tang I believe? I'll post a pic of the forging when I'm at work. Can't do it from my phone apparently. :(

Look what was waiting on the doorstep when I woke up today. :)
Delbert Ealy 215mm Line Knife with spalted oak handle and big oak bolster. The only difference in mine and everyone else': mine is 36mm at the heel instead it 39mm.

Look what was waiting on the doorstep when I woke up today. :)
Delbert Ealy 215mm Line Knife with spalted oak handle and big oak bolster. The only difference in mine and everyone else': mine is 36mm at the heel instead it 39mm.

Ooh any chance of some more pictures? That's pretty.

Today I received A Chef knife 200mm (AEB-L) and A CHALLAH knife 235mm (AEB-L) by Tomer Botner- Florentine Kitchen Knives.

so I received several PMs about the final acquisition per my WTB post in THIS THREAD.

and yeah, I was the guy that picked up THIS

so here's the reveal: valentine's gift. my wife isn't very girly (e.g. no pink, etc.) but sure is great in the kitchen, and she was wanting a new blade. This works out to be the perfect combination, and pretty fun - I figured the shig was the only thing strong enough to balance out the hello kitty handle, and it does seem to work. The shig is going to be beautiful - I was looking for a kitaeji, but this is almost as good as there are some really striking clouds on the blade. Although they don't photograph well, they sure stand out in person. I might even end up using it once in a while....

[URL=http://s913.photobucket.com/user/hansbeernink/media/IMG_1544_zps0f35d69d.jpg.html] [/URL]

Back