Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly refreshing to see something from one of the "old guard" on these pages instead of the hype-machine knives.

Watanabe makes a top drawer knife, pure performance. And that one looks awesome. Making me want another blade from Shinichi.

I keep telling myself that my next knife will be a Watanabe and somehow I always get swayed into something else. It's funny because my Masamoto is favorite gyuto and it to has fallen out of the limelight much like Watanabe. I will make a conscious effort to change that.

had a 270 wat and i swear that thing was a cleaver with a tip, monster of a knife. that 180 petty looks like a narrow gyuto a la sasanoha takedas.

it's good that ks stays out of limelight, only those who can appreciate how great of a knife it is should own one anyway. on that note, toyama seems to be the latest hype machine. but if it is pretty much replica watanabe, at least it's a good knife!

I may be guilty of some of that Toyama hyperbole but let's hope that it shines the right light and recognition on Watanabe's work. I have both and they are worthy of every bit of praise they receive.

Someone have the balls or too many drinks & pull the trigger on one of those Bread Swords

had a 270 wat and i swear that thing was a cleaver with a tip, monster of a knife.

I had the same expression when I received my 240. Not about cleaver but monster of a knife! At first was was amazed and the knife seamed a bit to large. Now I just love it.
And what an incredible cutter!

Ok, so this knife is not "new", but I did just give it a new handle. Makes is look and feel like a whole different knife. These OEM knives have smaller than normal handles, so this one was needing something a little more hand filling. The balance did shift slightly toward the handle, and is now right on the bolster, but that's alright with me. It feels really light in the hand now.

Artisan 210 Gyuto with stabilized Afzelia Lay and black G10 liners. Also with freshly rounded spine and choil!

Not a knife this time, just a few choice blocks of wood I've collected for future projects.

2YFDEzL.jpg

As requested, choil pic and some rough specs of Watanabe
Length 180
Height at heel 38
Width at heel 2.8
Width at half 1.8
Gets down to about 1mm about an inch from tip.
Wonky choil shot at work, but very flat on backside, real nice grind do far.
And the keyaki handle had grown on me loads, little stunner :doublethumbsup:

180 wa petty is one of my favorite knives. 38mm is a super generous height too, normally they run closer to 33.

Since apparently I am in the trend, here is my birthday present, received few days ago (actually the present is the handle, I ordered the blade) :

180mm Watanabe honyaki petty mirror polished (and his little brother, 120mm Watanabe petty).

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

And also, my g/f birthday knife (only way I found to buy one more knife in 2016 : it's not mine, even though it's home!) : Tojiro Zen Black bread knife, with dyed buckeye burl handle and Mother-of-Pearl spacer and endcap.
IMG_0897.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0899.jpg

Apologies for the poor iphone pictures, didn't want to get the reflex and tripod out, but I will do a group shot at some point with proper gear and lighting!

Cheers!

Since apparently I am in the trend, here is my birthday present, received few days ago (actually the present is the handle, I ordered the blade) :

180mm Watanabe honyaki petty mirror polished (and his little brother, 120mm Watanabe petty).

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

And also, my g/f birthday knife (only way I found to buy one more knife in 2016 : it's not mine, even though it's home!) : Tojiro Zen Black bread knife, with dyed buckeye burl handle and Mother-of-Pearl spacer and endcap.
IMG_0897.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0899.jpg

Apologies for the poor iphone pictures, didn't want to get the reflex and tripod out, but I will do a group shot at some point with proper gear and lighting!

Cheers!
Beautiful! Who did the handles?

Dunno if I can actually give the name as he is not a forum supporter, if I can't please someone delete the message :)

He's called Carter Hopkins, did the handles and the saya, and did an amazing job imho.

Dunno if I can actually give the name as he is not a forum supporter, if I can't please someone delete the message :)

He's called Carter Hopkins, did the handles and the saya, and did an amazing job imho.

They look great, Carter does good stuff and it is totally ok to talk about none forum supporting makers. They just can't post =p (I think)

They look great, Carter does good stuff and it is totally ok to talk about none forum supporting makers. They just can't post =p (I think)

Perfect thanks :)

Wanted to add that I ordered the petties to Shinichi after putting up a thread to get the forum's advice, and I'm really not disappointed!
Plus, as mentionned by someone else before, the petty is way thinner than the gyutos he makes!

Nice! I actually have a couple knives at his place right now!

180mm Watanabe honyaki petty mirror polished
IMG_0891.jpg

Perfect thanks :)

Wanted to add that I ordered the petties to Shinichi after putting up a thread to get the forum's advice, and I'm really not disappointed!
Plus, as mentionned by someone else before, the petty is way thinner than the gyutos he makes!

It looks great! Did you have the grind marks on the underside of the tang and choil polished out? I'm still waiting for my handle for my 150 version of same

this guy made it to my house about a week back, but I am just getting around to sharing:

270mm 1095 honyaki in birdseye red gum and marble horn & matching saya

uk8694v.jpg

raxWE9o.jpg

bQnbdkA.jpg

Spectacularly cruddy photos, apologies in advance.

Kato 240 workhorse with custom handle and refinishing work by Greg of wabocho in the UK.

Kato 300 Yanagiba. Wondering if anyone knows why the top of the backside of all my single bevels have this kinda matte finish portion (3rd pic, lower right side) and whats it called? Its like a streak across the top. Im sure its there deliberately, just curious.
D6EC886B-9546-496F-AA73-91EF72F409A0_zpsvnvfuonm.jpg

6C0C7726-E74A-494A-B809-CACCFAC9F2DB_zpszzmjfb5c.jpg

969D9436-2FEF-40D7-82C8-6A308589EAFB_zps6i0hro9x.jpg

Munetoshi 170 Butcher. Its my understanding that this is the same maker as Itinomon? Can anyone confirm?
2D877CCA-EFAF-4DFA-AB64-3D53BE2E13B3_zpsskj72mkm.jpg

B94168DF-D926-4B96-B57B-C93376729E68_zpsekzl86ed.jpg

5919BE71-A252-42C3-B069-8DC800450943_zpsy0jg1ttp.jpg

Kato 300 Yanagiba. Wondering if anyone knows why the top of the backside of all my single bevels have this kinda matte finish portion (3rd pic, lower right side) and whats it called? Its like a streak across the top. Im sure its there deliberately, just curious.

Munetoshi 170 Butcher. Its my understanding that this is the same maker as Itinomon? Can anyone confirm?

Nice knives! I love the look of the Kato.

Not sure of the name but that is the jigane/cladding (think of a. Extension of the softer tang versus hagane). I don't have it on my honyaki kensaki Yanagi.

I also understand that the butcher knives are the same. Was itinomonn the JNS branding whereas Munetoshi is the maker himself? Yours looks identical to my itinomonn but with different (and more) kanji.

Back