Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is an amazing suita collection! Also curious to know if you have a favorite - or are they particularly well matched for certain steels/knives?

Thanks YG420! ;)
Well of course the that one in the picture i posted,
Its a ohira shiro suita aka renge (looks also like it has some ao renge too, it has yellow colors, super harmless kesuji).. it was actually "the dream Ohira" that i was looking for from the beginning and actually the last natural stone i bought and also the last one i will ever buy.
I got it fully 100%risk from a yahoo jp auction.. it was a collectors item of someones father that passed away.. when i saw it i knew "thats the one i was looking for" ;) .. i thing it was one of the highlights of his collection. and i got it insanly cheap.

This stone is mindblowing, it is the best stone i have ever tried (very fast, instant black swarf, very smooth feedback, i would give it a 3,5/5 for hardness but its also very fine, it has a clean perfect surface with micro holes but no visible su, the kesuji is harmless and will get more after around 16mm.. well i guess i am dead before i wear down the stone to that point ;) )

well and to complete the dynamic duo (like batman and robin) i have another Ohira Suita.. its one of the unique Watanabe melon green ao Renge Ohira Shiro Suitas with no Kesuji no visible su and its a bit harder, also cutting like a chainsaw but fine like a very good nakayama..

the others are also nice with their special features.. the maruo yama is softer than the ohiras but also very fine, has lots of namazu and one of the funkiest line patterns i have seen (was a collectors stone from mr Horie from the german japan-messer-shop)
that aircraftcarrier is from 330mate (and i dondt regret it!! ;) ) and is actually awesome too.. had not much chance to fully test it..

puh lots of stone gibberish ;) hope that answers your question ;))
i also got some smaller ones http://imgur.com/a/B69XO + a small but excellent nakayama kiita that cuts like a suita.

best regards! Daniel

Very nice! Glad you got a good deal on it! It looks like a $1k+ stone. You have quite the collection of suitas.

yep!
I knew that too from the first moment i saw the pictures ;))
somehow no one was interested in it (2 other people and after you make a higher bid you had to wait the longest 5 minutes ever because the auction end increases everytime for 5 minutes.. and somehow no one bid more..so jackpot3000! )
The real thriller is that i got all 4 Stones together for 1,1k Euros all inclusive (customs and ems) so i am very happy.. i was 4 times very lucky ;))

Seeya.. Daniel!

yep!
I knew that too from the first moment i saw the pictures ;))
somehow no one was interested in it (2 other people and after you make a higher bid you had to wait the longest 5 minutes ever because the auction end increases everytime for 5 minutes.. and somehow no one bid more..so jackpot3000! )
The real thriller is that i got all 4 Stones together for 1,1k Euros all inclusive (customs and ems) so i am very happy.. i was 4 times very lucky ;))

Seeya.. Daniel!

Your picture of the suitas might be the picture that gets me hooked on naturals.

I'm rarely envious of new knives, but I'm definitely envious of your suitas!

Your picture of the suitas might be the picture that gets me hooked on naturals.

May the guy who brought Krassi to Jnats post his stones? :hungry:

greets Sebastian.

Yea i got a couple knives with a handle maker thats had them forever and I have a couple spots reserved with Stefans so Im pretty excited to see what he can do!

Stefan does good work, I'll be sure to email you pics of the ones we're working on once they're done! Would also love to see the Kato family photo once you get your rehandles back ;-)

I always vowed to stay away from jnats for the sake of my bank account, but I'm now almost thinking that maybe just a finisher (or two :angel2: ) would make a nice addition to use after a Chosera 5k for typical use or 10k if I want to split atoms lol.

May the guy who brought Krassi to Jnats post his stones? :hungry:

greets Sebastian.

Yep ..Sharpchef is my "godfather" for stones ;)).. i got hooked because of him and i am finally cured.. jnats are the moneyburner3000.
My collection is a joke compared to his ;)) .. warning.. You could get a heartattack if you see the pictures.

thanks for the nice reply mikedtrans! the crazy thing is i got them all in only 6-7 months but i checked every possible reliable place on the net daily to find them ;)

Seeya! Daniel

Order arrived from Japan today. The customs form actually had "traditional goods" marked - first time seeing that.

240mm Workhorse Kato Gyuto (on loan from YG420) - 269gram, 53mm heel
240mm Kato Gyuto - 234grams, 49.5mm heel
240mm Kato Gyuto - 223grams, 51mm heel
210mm Kato Gyuto - 173grams, 47mm heel
190mm Kato Gyuto - 163grams, 45mm heel

12QDxYg.jpg

mike if you ever need anyone to release the 210 and 190 to I'll take first dibs :doublethumbsup:

Love that ferrule!

Love the look of the ferrule on the 240, I'll gladly take one off your hands if 4 sale

Don't think any are for sale, but I know who to go to if they are. Yeah that ferrule was quite the surprise, really interesting for sure.

The 3 Katos from japan arrived without boxes which I thought was interesting.

The first 240mm with the black ferrule was hand delivered by Kato-san himself to the vendor I purchased it from and is probably my favorite cutter.

You guys all have learned from the best - the smurf (mike murphy) approach. Ask them into submission =D

mike if you ever need anyone to release the 210 and 190 to I'll take first dibs :doublethumbsup:

Order arrived from Japan today. The customs form actually had "traditional goods" marked - first time seeing that.

240mm Workhorse Kato Gyuto (on loan from YG420) - 269gram, 53mm heel
240mm Kato Gyuto - 234grams, 49.5mm heel
240mm Kato Gyuto - 223grams, 51mm heel
210mm Kato Gyuto - 173grams, 47mm heel
190mm Kato Gyuto - 163grams, 45mm heel

12QDxYg.jpg

That's a lot of Kato gyutos you got there!

IMG_0720.jpg

New to me is the Kenji Togashi Honyaki in Blue#1 on the middle-left

My latest acquisition from William Lloyd:
A Chef knife 285mm (11.22'') with a stand.
The handle: a carved Ivory (Samurai figures and a dragon) with an integral bolster.
The blade was forged by KC Lund.
Overall length 465mm (18.3"), 51.57mm (2.03'') high at heel.
Spine at the heel is 4.85mm, and 1.29mm at the tip.
Weight is 424g.

The handle: a carved Ivory (Samurai figures and a dragon) with an integral bolster.
Weight is 424g.

That is insane.... V cool

Breathtaking ... what are the eyes (Dragon) made of if you don't mind me asking?

Weight is 424g.

Would love to know how comfortable it is to use.

Definitely a great show piece

Back