Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would go great with the saya from Watanabe:

dragonsaya.jpg

dragonsaya1.jpg

It would go great with the saya from Watanabe:

dragonsaya.jpg

dragonsaya1.jpg

This is something I can get down with. And really appreciate. Not to say I don't appreciate the time and effort put in to that handle, quite the opposite. I just could never see myself actually using it.

Well, It is not exactly my newest knife, but:

From Will Catcheside, 900 layers in the core damascus. Edge retention and sharpness i amacing.

DSC_0198_zpsntfbx0ag.jpg.html

DSC_0201_zpshrs9neig.jpg.html

DSC_0202_zpsfhjsu9vc.jpg.html

I will try that again, as it seems I have not succeded in the picture upload.

And yes, it is blue as in the middel picture. I have not forced a patina. :)

Damn that is a nice blade! Catcheside is def on my list. My understanding is Will doesnt do customs?

I think his 2016 philosophy is to step away from truly custom work for now and go with what he wants to forge (1 or multiple pieces) offer them for sale but occasionally allow for a level of customization (handle, wood, etc.) .... Here is his updated sales concept thread

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...-2016-and-A-Catcheside-Christmas-Sparkles-WIP

The guys work is stunning though & I really, really want to have one ... just waiting around ready to pounce and hoping my timing is right ...

TjA

Damn that is a nice blade! Catcheside is def on my list. My understanding is Will doesnt do customs?

Not sure about that, but I've commissioned a knife from him in the past...perhaps you should touch base by pm.

I think his 2016 philosophy is to step away from truly custom work for now and go with what he wants to forge (1 or multiple pieces) offer them for sale but occasionally allow for a level of customization (handle, wood, etc.) .... Here is his updated sales concept thread

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...-2016-and-A-Catcheside-Christmas-Sparkles-WIP

The guys work is stunning though & I really, really want to have one ... just waiting around ready to pounce and hoping my timing is right ...

TjA

From reading that, it sounds like I'm the source of misinformation :O, thanks for the heads up...that said, I'd probably still touch base just to see how things stand.

Not a great pic and not really a buy, but spent some time testing out Robin's prototype Chinese-style knife.

zO381Ti.jpg

Not a great pic and not really a buy, but spent some time testing out Robin's prototype Chinese-style knife.

zO381Ti.jpg

How was it? Thinking of ordering one maybe sometime in the near future.

How was it? Thinking of ordering one maybe sometime in the near future.
Can't say much that'll be useful; the knife was a tester and my private feedback will probably be taken into account when more are made in the future.

General impression is promising, though.

Hinoura from a fellow member arrived + zdp petty from JCK.
Hattori Cowry x scalpel and little utility Takada AS ive had for some time just never got round to taking a photo..

image1hat3.jpg

image3hat.jpg

knifehat.jpg

that's code for 'it needs a lot of work'
looks badass though!
I think the point of the tester was to take a shot in the dark and see how far from the mark it was. For me, it was a bit heavy for the size, the handle a bit long/narrow and too light, and with the thickness at the top of the hollow, it could occasionally wedge in very tall ingredients. However, it had excellent separation, a pretty smooth cutting geometry in most ingredients, seemed to be hardened and tempered pretty well with limited damage from an abuse test, and was generally fun to use.

Since this is not a review and isn't in the reviews section, I will spare my recommendations, but they should be intuited easily enough from what I provided above. I also have preferences about size and edge curve, but those are personal and probably irrelevant to others.

As part of my feedback to Robin, I tried to provide comparisons with other knives and such. Due to quality and technique problems and a desire to not be ridiculed, I keep such things private, but I'll share one where a "problem" was encountered, but the knife otherwise performed very well:
[video=youtube;mcGhtzB972g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcGhtzB972g[/video]

This isn't a buy, more of a "find", but it's the latest knife I've obtained.

When I moved into my (furnished) apartment, this was sitting in the top draw. Asked my landlord about it, and he said "Well it's not one of mine, the previous (Chinese) tenants must have left it here" - So he said it's mine now.

Having never owned/used Asian style knives before, i've always shied away from them as I use my knifes left-handed (even though i'm right handed) and was under the impression that most Asian knives had to be bought especially right or left handed. Either way, this one seems to have a symmetrical handle so i'm finding it pretty useful. I have no idea if it's any good metal wise, but it seems to sharpen up OK.

f0K6iZR.jpg

YQGHAuu.jpg

Either way, I use it quite a lot. It's replaced some of the things that I used to use exclusively my cooks knife for...

I have a 240mm gyuto in Aogami Super that has a profile that looks identical. Can I ask what steel that is, and how you like it?

The steel is Aogami #1. Even if I have this knife from short time, I have a nice feeling with it.

Hii!

i caught something in a bay and saved it from drowning.

Friedr. Herder Abr. Sohn GmbH "DON Carlos"
seems old but looks amazingly new!
Its made of some carbon steel for tools and was/is used for leatherworks...well not anymore.. it will be used for dinner ;)

vG6ctaK.jpg

and more stuff:
http://imgur.com/a/K6OVk

Seeya, daniel!

Hii!

i caught something in a bay and saved it from drowning.

Friedr. Herder Abr. Sohn GmbH "DON Carlos"
seems old but looks amazingly new!
Its made of some carbon steel for tools and was/is used for leatherworks...well not anymore.. it will be used for dinner ;)

vG6ctaK.jpg

and more stuff:
http://imgur.com/a/K6OVk

Seeya, daniel!

That handle inlay is pretty nifty. Nice find.

Hii!

Yep! Thanks! i love it.. it has no gaps and you dond't fell anything sticking out .. i am amazed of the good finish..
size is 125mm for the blade and 250mm all together with a nice balance point 5mm behind the bolster..

Hii!

Yep! Thanks! i love it.. it has no gaps and you dond't fell anything sticking out .. i am amazed of the good finish..
size is 125mm for the blade and 250mm all together with a nice balance point 5mm behind the bolster..

Cool blade man!

Back